08 Colorado Engine Noise

A buddy of mine has an 08 Colorado with the 3.7. He had the oil changed by Goodyear, and shortly after the engine started ticking. He took it to the dealer after checking all the fluids. The dealer gives him a 1400 dollar estimate to replace the timing chain tensioner saying that there is a bulletin out that if a non GM oil filter is used, possible engine damage could occur. His response was that he had no idea that there was a bulletin, and that he was not obligated to get his vehicle serviced at the dealership. The dealer respone: Oh well. Any thoughts?

If it was so detrimental to the vehicle, then why weren't owners told about this? Maybe a lawyer should be involved. I'd be fighting it. What filter did he use that shouldn't be used?

A buddy of mine has an 08 Colorado with the 3.7. He had the oil changed by Goodyear, and shortly after the engine started ticking. He took it to the dealer after checking all the fluids. The dealer gives him a 1400 dollar estimate to replace the timing chain tensioner saying that there is a bulletin out that if a non GM oil filter is used, possible engine damage could occur. His response was that he had no idea that there was a bulletin, and that he was not obligated to get his vehicle serviced at the dealership. The dealer respone: Oh well. Any thoughts?

Unless a specific gm oil filter is specified in the owners manual then the dealership is full of crap. It is illegal for a dealership to deny warranty work based on work done elsewhere.

Tell your buddy to go to a different gm dealership and contact the bbb about the first dealership.

moved here, this did not belong in the appearance forum.

Not a biggie, but the full name of the forum is appearance, car care, and maintenance.....

Anyway, another dealer said they would fix it. Done.

Thats good to hear. If the customer wasn't warned or information sent to him about the "bad" filter, I can't see how GM wouldn't fix it. Glad to hear it worked out.

Archived