Photo
- - - - -

Is There Any Way To Tighten The Shifter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KMGZ400

KMGZ400

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

ok i searched, but didnt know what to search for because nothing came up or "gear selector" or anything like that.

Anyway, my problem is that the gear shifter on my 2001 silverado has A LOT of play in it, like its just kinda sloppy feeling while pulling it back to shift gears and just wiggles around a lot. the shifter it self is not loose, its obviously a wire or cable or something. the shifters in my other trucks feel like new when you shift gears, no play oat all

now before i tear it all apart, is there anything i should be careful of, or is there an easy adjustment?

image_V1MHcoloredsized_zpsa15e91fd.jpg
2014 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 CCSB 4x4 LML 3.73 G80

2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 ECSB 4x4 5.3 3.08 G80
2012 Chevrolet Cruze eco 1.4T M-6

2012 Nissan NV3500 S 5.6 3.54

#2 NickV

NickV

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,253 posts
  • Drives:2009 Sierra SLT 4X4

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

I could be wrong.....

but the adjuster is on the transmission side of the cable.

This I know to be fact:
the shifter is connected to a cable, that cable runs down to the transmission. it attaches to the transmission on the driver's side. I would start by inspecting the end at the transmission, which is much easier to access (just crawl under the truck). Grab it, wiggle it, look for any adjusters.

WARNING: Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.

2009 Sierra SLT CCSB 5.3/A6 Z71 4X4 HID | Weathertech | Truxedo Lo Pro QT | Passport 8500 | Underhood Storage | HP Tuners | Sprayed Bed Liner | Window Tint | CK951 wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers | Painted Tailgate handle | Full 2" Altitude Adjustment
2003 Silverado LS ECSB 4.8/A4 2WD SOLD HID low/fog | Gibson Shorty Headers | Corsa Touring | Passport 8500 | Sprayed Liner | Billet Grille | HP Tuners | Eaton LSD | 3.73 Gear Swap | Esky Handles | Electric Fans | Center Console Swap | MTX Audio | Denali Cluster

#3 KMGZ400

KMGZ400

Senior Enthusiast

• 5,322 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

I could be wrong.....

but the adjuster is on the transmission side of the cable.

This I know to be fact:
the shifter is connected to a cable, that cable runs down to the transmission. it attaches to the transmission on the driver's side. I would start by inspecting the end at the transmission, which is much easier to access (just crawl under the truck). Grab it, wiggle it, look for any adjusters.

ok thanks. its been raining for days here and hopefully tommorow it stops and i can start to play around.

image_V1MHcoloredsized_zpsa15e91fd.jpg
2014 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 CCSB 4x4 LML 3.73 G80

2013 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 ECSB 4x4 5.3 3.08 G80
2012 Chevrolet Cruze eco 1.4T M-6

2012 Nissan NV3500 S 5.6 3.54

#4 8.1HD/ALLISON

8.1HD/ALLISON

Senior Truck Tweaker

• 2,465 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:04 K2500HD

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:05 AM

ok i searched, but didnt know what to search for because nothing came up or "gear selector" or anything like that.

Anyway, my problem is that the gear shifter on my 2001 silverado has A LOT of play in it, like its just kinda sloppy feeling while pulling it back to shift gears and just wiggles around a lot. the shifter it self is not loose, its obviously a wire or cable or something. the shifters in my other trucks feel like new when you shift gears, no play oat all

now before i tear it all apart, is there anything i should be careful of, or is there an easy adjustment?

I would be willing to bet its not the cable, but the shifter assembly loose. There is a torx bolt on the shifter handle. Check that. Also take the upper and lower steering column trim panels off and inspect the shifter mechanism on the column. I have seen those get sloppy and loose. Nothing in the cable is going to give you that feeling. If the cable was loose it would not shift into the correct gear corresponding with the prndl on the cluster.

backhoe6_zps0cfc8c15.jpg
You want fuel economy? Buy a Prius.... I have a big block!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 Chevy Silverado K2500 HD CCLB, 8.1L/Allison, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs,
B&W hitch, Whelen 6 channel strobe lights, Soundoff Signal Mini Light Bar,
Dual Flowmaster Super 44's, BlackBear Tuned, Too much to list,

#5 TexasAl

TexasAl

Enthusiast

• 854 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

I agree with Matt, your cable is not likely the problem. The shifter is attached by a screw or pin, and they tend to get sloppy after a while.

#6 pm26

pm26

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,272 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

If this was a manual transmission shifter with a solid rod linkage to the transmission, the problem would most likely be worn out shifter bushings. I had this happen on my Mazda. Two of the bushings were so worn out that they fell out and there was a lot of slop in the linkage.

Some vehicles with auto transmission also utilize shifter bushing, which, when worn will cause shifter to feel sloppy and loose.

#7 duradave

duradave

Enthusiast

• 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

Have the same problem. Looked inside the rubber boot on the column by the shifter and looks like a broken spring. Has anyone had this problem?

#8 LURCH HD

LURCH HD

Enthusiast

• 78 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

My 02 with 291K was like that, you had to push the handle back to the dash when in park so you could get the key out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users