2k Ext Cab Rear Doors Stick Baaad! Why?

Over time the rear doors have gotten harder and harder to open, like they are sticking somewhere. I can't see any obvious wear marks anywhere. It got so bad on the passenger side, that when I went to open it one day, the handle broke in my hand and sliced me pretty good on the newly sharp plastic edge. I use the driver's side now and that one is getting harder and harder to open as well.

I tried to search for the various terms, but somehow, "stuck", "sticks", "rear door" etc... have not resulted in a good cause or resolution. If I missed it, I apologize.

An educated guess is that maybe the doors are starting to sag and hang up on the bottom "latch assembly(?)" or are out of level. To my eye, they all seem to line up perfectly when closed, but maybe that's not the right time to assess it.

I have 2 kids and use these doors all the time, so it's really getting frustrating. I'd prefer not to visit the stealer on this. Thanks.

Yes, I have sprayed everywhere that has moving parts. Many times. And again.

Thanks.

Have you tried lubricating all of the latch points and hinges?

MIke

Probably door pin bushings, or the bushings that attach the latch inside the door...causing too much play and not allowing you to operate the latch with the handle.

Worn pins or bent/worn truck frame.

Could be all the above. 120k on it in Western NY. No accidents or even fender benders, though now that I mentioned it, I'm due.

Is my next step to call up some collision shops for a remedy?

If you dont know what your doing....yeah thats a good idea...

If you do, you can pull the door pins and bushings... and replace them in about 10 min. you could also pull the door inside pannel and check for excessive movement in the linkages to figure out if those bushings are gone.

Worn pins or bent/worn truck frame.

Could be all the above. 120k on it in Western NY. No accidents or even fender benders, though now that I mentioned it, I'm due.

Is my next step to call up some collision shops for a remedy?

If you dont know what your doing....yeah thats a good idea...

If you do, you can pull the door pins and bushings... and replace them in about 10 min. you could also pull the door inside pannel and check for excessive movement in the linkages to figure out if those bushings are gone.

Thanks all. I will take a peek at the pins and bushings. Doesn't sound too difficult. When I do get to it, I will post a follow up.

The door pins and bushing are easy and cheap. You can do both hinges for around $10.00. I had a similar issue on my 95 Blazer. The door latch is covered with a plastic?nylon something or other. It was worn and cracked to the point that part of it had flaked off and was causeing the latch to bind. Once I got that out, a few shots of PB Blaster and the door is like new.

Archived