White Smoke From Exhaust

Hello all, new member here. I am having some problem with a truck I recently bought. Could I get some assistance with this? I will try to keep it brief.

Vehicle is a 97 Chevy K1500.

Symptom: Thick billowing white smoke from exhaust when I first start it cold after sitting a while.

Smoke clears up while driving and does not reappear while stopped and idling (like stopped at a light).

If I park for a few minutes then, come back and start it white smoke reappears until i start driving.

All was fine till yesterday, started doing it this morning.

Sometimes weather conditions are right to show the water vapor in the normal exhaust this way. Could be the head gasket but a lowering coolant level will tell much. Could be normal, could be bad.

Ken

Sometimes weather conditions are right to show the water vapor in the normal exhaust this way. Could be the head gasket but a lowering coolant level will tell much. Could be normal, could be bad.

Ken

Best way...before you even notice a fluid level drop, if you see white smoke you must get it diagnosed ASAP. Rather spend 100 bucks for a proper diagnosis and find out its nothing, or that it is a head gasket and it will cost a couple grand to fix...or less, as opposed to hydro locking the engine, getting water in the oil and ruining the bearings, and crank...etc.

Have it checked man....It will save you cash in the long run.

Or it's the intake gasket because that's what small block gen 1 Vortecs are famous for.......

Yup.... just like the old 3800 V6es, the head gaskets don't often fail, but the intake gaskets do. Often misdiagnosed as a head gasket problem though.

Or it's the intake gasket because that's what small block gen 1 Vortecs are famous for.......

Yup.... just like the old 3800 V6es, the head gaskets don't often fail, but the intake gaskets do. Often misdiagnosed as a head gasket problem though.

Hence the leak down test.....

Archived