Extended Cab 4 Door Vs. Crew Cab 4 Door

Just looking for all the information I can find on all the differences between the Extended cab 4 door trucks (suicide rear doors)

and the Crew Cab true 4 door trucks.

What year did they offer the crew cab?

Is it much heavier?

Is the wheelbase longer?

Good/Bad ?

It seems the crew cab is more rare, so I might have to settle for the Extended cab.

I am looking to pick up a decked out Chevy or GMC, 5.3L V8, under 100K miles, 2000-2007, with a budget of under $13K

Thanks

~John

The only difference between the two.

Crew cab bed is a few inches shorter than the X-cab.

If you want or need a full 6 foot bed then get an X-cab.

If you want 4 doors get the Crew cab.

Other than that they are the same. HTH.

Before 2004, the crewcab was a 1500 HD and had the same bed as an ext cab. The ext cab wheel base is 143.5 inches. The HD crew cab wheel base is 153 inches.

In 2004 the crew cab came in a regular 1500. The wheel base was 143.5 for both crew and ext cab. The bed length on the ext cab is 78.7 inches while the bed length on the crew is 68.5 inches.

Starting in the 2006 model year the ext cab was also offered with the crew cab 68.5 short bed.

Cab is ten inches longer, bed is ten inches shorter. Only different in my opinion.

I got an extended cab because I had a suburban before hand and I got used to having some extra room behind the seat for storing stuff. The extended cab back seats aren't all that comfy if you're over average size or larger (in my opinion) If you plan on seating more than two people regularly I would strongly suggest getting a crew cab.

Cab is ten inches longer, bed is ten inches shorter. Only different in my opinion.

I got an extended cab because I had a suburban before hand and I got used to having some extra room behind the seat for storing stuff. The extended cab back seats aren't all that comfy if you're over average size or larger (in my opinion) If you plan on seating more than two people regularly I would strongly suggest getting a crew cab.

The OP said he was looking for a 2000 to 2007 so there could be a lot of difference.

Just looking for all the information I can find on all the differences between the Extended cab 4 door trucks (suicide rear doors)

and the Crew Cab true 4 door trucks.

What year did they offer the crew cab?

Is it much heavier?

Is the wheelbase longer?

Good/Bad ?

It seems the crew cab is more rare, so I might have to settle for the Extended cab.

I am looking to pick up a decked out Chevy or GMC, 5.3L V8, under 100K miles, 2000-2007, with a budget of under $13K

Thanks

~John

Wow, that's the opposite of what I see. Every truck here is a crew cab and the ext. cab has become a rare sight!

I see more e-cab's in the GMT800 platform, and more crew in the GMT900's

I've owned both. Typically in the 1500's the crew will gain you 10" in the cab, but you lose it in the bed (like my 08 SD). On the 2500's, you'll keep the same bed length and get the 10"

Honestly, I like both. I find with the kids, the crew is easier to get in/out in parking lots. The e-cab uses suicide doors in the back, so when the front/rear are open, you're working to get around both doors. But, not a huge issue unless you're carrying passengers frequently in the rear. (That an the rear cannot get out until the front doors are opened. Again, not a huge issue.

Space wise, my '00 Z71 e-cab had a decent back seat. Same/more room as most cars have in the rear.

One word of advice though: If you're parking in a garage or hauling a ATV or the like, make sure you measure first. In my new garage, the shorter box (5'8") in my SD crew JUST fits in my garage. BUT, I cannot haul my ATV with the tailgate up anymore. My 6'5" bed had no issues closing the tailgate.

When I bought my truck (see sig) I wanted a crew cab to get normal doors, more passenger space, and an 8ft bed; but it would not fit in my garage. Now I have the ext cab I love it. I normally drive it without passengers and it is great to get stuff in/out of the drivers side rear door. I sometimes take my family so we can manage the doors. In tight parking areas having the doors open as they do makes it a bit of a shuffle to get out. But I'm not sure getting out any truck with big doors like a crew cab would be much easier.

Ahh what good is a truck with a crew cab and a short box. IF you want a truck get a crew cab and a true truck bed. 8 foot bed is the way to go. If you think or are considering the long truck DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT. You get use to driving it. Whether you get a 1/2 ton with a 5.3 or a 3/4 with a 6.0L or 6.2L your MPG's are about the same no matter what you do. That being said the back seat in a crew cab is ALOT bigger so it seems. More leg room and 2 adults in the backseat can ride comfortably. Once you get used to the CREW you won't ever want anything else. Just my opinion.

Hi John:

As usual lots of differing opinions - I guess that is why GM builds so many different configurations. it is not really so much a matter of what the differences between the various configurations - as much as it should be a matter of your specific needs and uses.

The real question you should seek to answer first - IMHO - is "what do you want/need a truck for in the first place?" Then the second question is; "how often would you need that rear area in the cab vs. how often will you need a longer bed?"

Everything is a trade-off of some kind -

I recently went though the "truck shopping" process - looked at trucks for at least 8 months... When I finally found "the truck" I pulled the trigger... I wound up with a truck I'm super happy with.

Considering your model year and price range limits - If snakedoctor's info is correct - - I'd narrow my search down to the 1500HD Crew Cab before 2004. Then I'd look for the lowest mileage, best kept example I could find. It won't be easy - but it is possible.

Narrowing your options to one or two specific models - allows you to more directly compare the value of one truck vs. another similar truck. It can also save you from very frustrating wild goose chases..

OK - just to continue the discussion....

I have a 2005 2500HD Crew Cab - it has the 6.5' bed. The rear seat backs fold down to form an almost perfectly flat platform in the rear. This was important to me - because my best friend stands back there - and I didn't want any of his four legs getting stuck in some hole, nor did I want him slipping off the platform.

On a lot of the newer trucks I looked at - the bottom of the rear seat folded up - leaving access to the rear floor open...so I didn't buy any of them. I didn't want my dog sitting on the floor, then trying to claw his way up to see out of the windows..

I use the truck primarily to tow an enclosed car hauler - and I wanted a truck with a longer wheel base for better stability on the road. So in my case the longer wheel base was far more important than bed length.

Good luck with your search - take your time to look at a lot of trucks, so that when you do find a high quality used truck - you'll be able to recognize "quality". Buy "quality" and be willing to pay a bit extra for it. Don't buy "price"..

FWIW,

Carl B.

well in your price range your most likely gonna have to get a 99-02 ext cab since those are the cheapest GMT-800 trucks out there... i currently have an ECSB 1500 and i really dont like having the short bed. i came from a ECLB 3500 and i loved the longbed. i am always hauling and use every inch of the bed. so id say go with the ECSB.

Archived