Sound Dampening Material

I bought some "Brown Bread" and intend to cover as much of the interior as possible (starting with the doors and rear wall).

Does anyone know how much it would take to do the entire interior?  BTW, I have a 4-door ext. cab.

( I bought 70 sq. ft.)

I am not interested in doing the roof right now.  I am sure that would help a lot, but I am intimidated about messing up the headliner.

Measure and get your own estimate.  Measure the width and length of a door, multiply times two and divide by 144 (12"*12").  That will give you about how much it will take to cover the front doors.  If you want to do the inside of the doors also, add like 2 sq ft per door.  Do the same thing with the rear wall and the floor (just don't multiply by 2).  If you want to do two layers, just multiply your final number by 2.

I have a single cab truck, and 70 sq ft wouldn't be enough to do the entire inside for me, but I like two layers everywhere.

Length*Width/144

Mark I did the whole cab on my 02 ext cab.  Took me two rolls of Raamat 60.  Each roll is 62.5 sqft so 125 sq ft.  I did the outer door skin and inner door skins, floor and back wall.  Took longer to put the sound deadening in than to install the system.

Hmm i found it, but yeah, its more expensive to add this stuff.  I bet it would be killer tho :cheers:

Vcomp

vcompfullres.jpg

Vcomp is a noise barrier composite consisting of a dense vinyl based polymer barrier with a 1/4" thick foam decoupler. It has a total thickness of 1/2", weighs just over 1.0lb/sq. ft.

Vcomp is meant to be installed on floors, doors and firewalls to reduce road and engine noise. Using a damping material in conjunction with Vcomp will offer the optimum performance.

13.5 sq. ft.= $64.99

27 sq. ft. = ON SALE! Regular $114.99 USD  $99.99

And better still :cheers::

LComp

lcompfullres.jpg

Lcomp is a noise barrier composite consisting of a 1/4" absorber foam with a black urethane film facing, a lead barrier and a 1/4" thick foam decoupler. It has a total thickness of 1/2", weighs just over 1lb/sq. ft. and it is highly moldable to form to the contours of your vehicle.

Lcomp offers the best performance amongst composite materials and is meant to be installed on floors, doors and firewalls to reduce road and engine noise. Using a damping material in conjunction with Lcomp will offer the optimum performance.

Each sheet measures 48" x 24" for a total of 8 sq. ft. per sheet.

B-Quiet Lcomp

8 sq. ft. = $69.99

16 sq. ft. = $119.99

24 sq. ft. = $149.99

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I did my whole cab, doors and back wall in my Ext-cab. I bought the sheets from www.partsexpress.com (10"x10"sheets). I put two layers in because I wasn't satisfied with just one. For my ext-cab, I used about 150-175 sheets of the 10"x10". You can click on my personal site and you can see the small write up I did.

Definitely a full weekend project. Heat the sheets up (put them in the sun) as they are a lot easier to use when hot. They form better.

Major improvement. My next step is to replace the carpet padding with thicker padding. Still getting more noise than I want, so it's the next step.

Fun taking everything out of the truck too. Crank it up when everything is out, you'll be amazed how loud it is.

Crank it up when everything is out, you'll be amazed how loud it is.

Heck yeah!  I had the carpet/insulation out of my '91 on time for about a week because it got pretty wet.  I drove it around for a week with nothing but the seat and floor mats in it.  It was very loud, and hot too.  :nono:

• 4 weeks later...
How much improvement can you expect from soundproofing?  Would you say it cuts the niose in half or better?  I've been wanting to do this for a while and want to make sure it is worth the money.  How much should you expect to spend for the entire inside of ext cab?

How much improvement can you expect from soundproofing?  Would you say it cuts the niose in half or better?  I've been wanting to do this for a while and want to make sure it is worth the money.  How much should you expect to spend for the entire inside of ext cab?

I'll repost what I posted earlier on this post.

Measure and get your own estimate.  Measure the width and length of a door, multiply times two and divide by 144 (12"*12").  That will give you about how much it will take to cover the front doors.  If you want to do the inside of the doors also, add like 2 sq ft per door.  Do the same thing with the rear wall and the floor (just don't multiply by 2).  If you want to do two layers, just multiply your final number by 2.

I have a single cab truck, and 70 sq ft wouldn't be enough to do the entire inside for me, but I like two layers everywhere.

Length*Width/144

I've used about 150 sq ft in my truck and it has made a big difference.  It cut out a lot of road noise, and made my stereo sound better.  Definitely a well worth it investment IMO.

Archived