Changed Shocks=abs+stabilitrak+trac Control Problems?

Hello everyone, new to the board but in need of some advice. Last night, I changed out the pass rear shock that was leaking on my wife's '08 Yukon 2WD SLT (no upgraded suspension package). I only had time for 1 and the install went on without a hitch. When I turned on the truck, the ABS light is on, Stabilitrak "needs service" and tractioncontrol is off and needs service. I replaced "dummy" factory shocks with Monroes. There were no electronic connections of any kind and only 2 bolts for the entire install. What the heck happened along the way?

I am thinking that since I only changed 1 the ride level could be off and that would throw the stabilitrak, but the ABS makes no sense to me. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

So the truck has rear leveling suspension and/or electronic suspension control?? Either way, that wouldn't net you a service STABILITY or TRACTION light unless you damaged the wiring going to the rear wheel speed sensor that is in the axle tube near the brake rotor. If it DOES have leveling or electronic suspension, you'd have a service SUSPENSION system message and yes, that could be easily caused by replacing the shock. Need more info.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I did not disconnect anything other than the shock itself other than the plastic wheel well cover. I didn't even remove the tire. There were 2 sets of wires that laid across the top of the frame where the upper bolt is but I do not believe that I damaged those at all. The truck has 45K on it and has never had warning lights before. It made no sense to me. One other idea I had was RF sensors. I know there are a lot of components (in various objects) that have RF sensors and I was thinking that if the factory shocks had these that could throw the warnings. Other than that, I'll disconnect the battery and go from there.

Have you tried driving it? Is the anti-lock doing anything goofy?

Before taking the shocks on and off again-I'd recommend these "shot in the dark" attempts first-

1. Disconnect battery to allow ECM to reset

2. Take THAT wheel off, and see if any wires are loose or disconnected

3. Get the code read

Hearing that you had wheel well liners you pulled and replaced, is making me more comfortable in guessing that you bumped some connection for the ABS, where it connects right by the wheel.

Edited by Metro12

Have you tried driving it? Is the anti-lock doing anything goofy?

Before taking the shocks on and off again-I'd recommend these "shot in the dark" attempts first-

1. Disconnect battery to allow ECM to reset

2. Take THAT wheel off, and see if any wires are loose or disconnected

3. Get the code read

Hearing that you had wheel well liners you pulled and replaced, is making me more comfortable in guessing that you bumped some connection for the ABS, where it connects right by the wheel.

I drove it last night but it was too late to take it to Autozone for them to read the codes. It drove fine, brakes work as usual. Only real difference was the feel of having a functional shock. As far as ABS wiring goes, are they just standard plugs that terminate at the wheels? ABS was what made me nervous and I'm not super sure what I'm looking for other than damaged wiring. Thanks.

If it was a vehicle speed sensor, you would more then likely get a pulsation and delay in the brakes, the last 10ft before stopping. It would feel like you were stopping on ice. (When a VSS is bad, faulty, or not reading correctly, the ABS thinks the wheel is spinning at a different speed when braking, like when on ice and one wheel may lock and the others spin-which triggers your ABS to kick in.)

I'd take the wheel off, and just follow all the wires to connectors, and make sure they are all seated properly.

Edited by Metro12

should be delphi-style connectors clipped into the framerails above the axle... they run down from the frame to the axle, clip to the tube then run into the back of the brake assembly...just look and make sure the connectors are seated properly at the frame.

• 3 months later...

Any update on what the root cause of this issue was. I have the exact same problem. Changed the rear shocks and got stabilitrack/ABS message when I started the vehicle. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the shocks unless there is some RF sensor installed in the OEM shocks.

I had those same lights come on in my truck a while back and it ended up being a wheel speed sensor that was bad. That would be my guess, and that it is unrelated to your changing the shocks.

+1

Either wiring to the sensor or sensor. Not related to the shock change unless the wiring you moved was speed sensor wires and they got messed up or maybe were partly damaged already and moving them 'finished the damage'.

If it throws the 'service' warnings, the ABS is disabled, so you won't feel the pulsation mentioned by Metro12 at low speeds.