Vortec Max Mpg

ok is the 6.0 that much worse on gas than the 5.3 or does the crappy mpg's have to do with the torque management and afm? if i set the cruise at 70 and the road is relatively flat i get about 16.4 my 03 sierra 5.3 would hit around 20 on the same stretch of road. both trucks were 3.73 and 4x4 but the sierra was tuned what gives? i have an 05 Yukon Denali and it shows 18 on the same road at 70 and it weighs a lot more than the truck

My 07 Vmax with 4.10 gears would consistently get 13mpg city and 18-19mpg highway. I did have a custom tune, and I had the AFM turned off. I ran a test with and with out the AFM enabled and saw no mileage difference. I got the same mileage with my 03 5.3 with 4.10 gears too, so I personally don't feel it gets worse mileage. :P

But there is a whole lot more fun that goes with the Vmax :lol: Especially tuned. Stock the throttle delay is HORRIBLE. Even diablo helped alot but the BB tune was night and day better.

I have an 07 vmax with 4.10s I don't get near 18-19 mpg hwy. What would you say your average hwy mph was. I tend to set the cruise around 72-74 and the best I ever get is like 15-16 or maybe once 17. and in the winter I get like 13-14 on the hwy. oh I also have a BB tune with AFM off

My 07 Vmax with 4.10 gears would consistently get 13mpg city and 18-19mpg highway. I did have a custom tune, and I had the AFM turned off. I ran a test with and with out the AFM enabled and saw no mileage difference. I got the same mileage with my 03 5.3 with 4.10 gears too, so I personally don't feel it gets worse mileage. :P

But there is a whole lot more fun that goes with the Vmax :lol: Especially tuned. Stock the throttle delay is HORRIBLE. Even diablo helped alot but the BB tune was night and day better.

I have an 07 vmax with 4.10s I don't get near 18-19 mpg hwy. What would you say your average hwy mph was. I tend to set the cruise around 72-74 and the best I ever get is like 15-16 or maybe once 17. and in the winter I get like 13-14 on the hwy. oh I also have a BB tune with AFM off

I took a family trip from Pa to S. Carolina and averaged for the entire trip just over 18mpg running an average highway speed of 68mph. Thats loaded with vacation gear and family.

Not that I believe they did much, but the truck also had GM Performance intake and Corsa exhaust.

I took a family trip from Pa to S. Carolina and averaged for the entire trip just over 18mpg running an average highway speed of 68mph. Thats loaded with vacation gear and family.

Not that I believe they did much, but the truck also had GM Performance intake and Corsa exhaust.

I wouldn't doubt if that extra 4-6 mph made a difference. I bet the trucks really start pouring fuel in above 2000 rpms. Maybe i'll just have to slow her down a bit

What are you getting with the 2011 now on the highway???

RPMs between 1500 and 2000 will optimize fuel economy on highway trips, keep the RPMs as low as possible and maintain your speed with the flow of traffic, if you are passing everyone you are going too fast, if they are passing you, then you are going too slow..

slow starts and coasting to a stop in the city will also raise MPG's.. fast launching, waiting to the last minute to brake at a light (jack rabbit driving) reduces your MPG's

I'm averaging over 19mpg city/highway mix in my Avalanche, just a tad over 700 miles per tank.. I accel slow from a light, when the truck gets to the speed limit for the road I am on I take my foot off the gas and coast if I see a stale green light ahead, or a red light. If not I still coast and maintain a constant speed, my goal is to not slow down any more than necessary as accelerating from a dead stop burns more fuel.

I don't feel the need to race from light to light.. I pick my lane and stay in it, I adjust my speed to flow with the traffic and I coast as much as possible in the city, only accelerating enough to get the truck to speed.. Very rarely do I feel the need to "floor it" and usually the only time I do is on freeway on ramps that are short and require that I accel quickly to get up to the flow speed of the highway without cutting someone off while merging or requiring them to hit their brakes..

Haven't been on the highway to much, but I'm best I've seen average has been 17mpg.. but I only have 3500 miles on it. AND it's winter, so I'm dealing with winter blend gas.

Thats not really any worse than my 02 with 5.3 and 3.73.. I hand calc it after every fill up and I average right around 16.8 or so with a mix of mostly backroads driving and some highway(usually about 10 miles of highway), winter time now I am in the low 15's though... On a straight highway trip to NC I got 18.5 but thats about as high as she goes.... I had a 99 with the 4.8 and 5 speed w/3.73 and that NEVER got below 18 even in the winter...

Very impressive though with the 6.2 and 3.73 to get 17 I would be VERY happy with that

Archived