Propane Conversion

Hey guys,

Did a search but didn't find much info on the subject.

Have a 2010 Sierra SLE 5.3L ext cab 4x4 and was wondering if it was viable to throw a conversion into it. My two main concerns are a) fuel efficiency b) performance.

I know they can run around $5000 CDN to install but in the long run you'd get your money back so it's just a thought I'm starting to kick around.

Also I tow a 18 foot open bow boat so curious as to how this will effect my towing (goes along with my performance concern).

Thanks in advance

Quite a few years ago (about 20 I think), the Canadian Forces changed over their entire bus fleet from gas to propane, claiming that they would be able to save a whole pile of money over gas. They also had lots of vans and some trucks that ran propane as well. The long and short of it is this: in the summer, in the flat parts of this great country, it worked well, could tow like gas, and did save some money.

The problems are that it does not work well below -5 degrees C, it really hates having to work at altitudes like Alberta/ BC and the Rockies, even in the heat of the summer, and it is hard to find stations that will fill your car/ truck if you need it.

The only two things that I would use propane on are a BBQ and to cool a diesel engine that is tuned. That's my 2cents....

I looked into that for my '02 YukonXL when I had it. I ended up not doing it. $5k is a lot of fuel.

And with the winters, think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Unless of course you're driving your truck daily. A lot of taxis here in Ottawa run on propane.

We did not need it but I saw somewhere a preheater for propane conversions, that warms the propane before it is injected. I know that when we used it on our trucks the milage was about 2/3's of normal gas useage. But when you only get 6 or 7 and you only drop to 4 or 5 it does not make much difference. At that time it took less than two years to pay for the change over, the biggest problem we had was when we ran out of propane and when back to gas the carb gaskets would dry out and then they would leak, don't have any exprence with injected motors. :P

Archived