Mpg With 22" Vs 20" Wheels

so you're going to spend the cash on wheels but are worried about fuel mileage? I bet any MPG difference will not cost you nearly what the wheels will so if you just kept your current wheels you'd have a lot of money to spend on gas... Just a thought.

Depends on which is heavier, but most cases the 22" would be :)

+1

Real good chance the 22's will be heavier, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but when you install rims and tires that are heavier than the stock set-up you affect the suspension, performance, and fuel mileage. All because of the added weight.

Why does everyone concern themselves with the wheel size? Wouldn't it be the overall diameter of the tire that affects mileage more then the wheel size?

Just curious.

Yes. The wheel size just means there is a bigger hole in the tire and less sidewall. Wheels may affect a little if they weigh more, there will be more rotating mass. They will also throw your speedo and odometer off.

Depends on which is heavier, but most cases the 22" would be :)

+1

Real good chance the 22's will be heavier, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but when you install rims and tires that are heavier than the stock set-up you affect the suspension, performance, and fuel mileage. All because of the added weight.

It sure does. Heavier wheels = more unsprung weight. As much as I love my rims, there is just as big a part of me that wants my factory 17" wheels back on for ride.

• 1 month later...
Wheel size doesnt matter...what will cause noticeable differences in mileage is the overall diameter of the tire and width of tire

+1. Width and diameter make the most difference. Wheels need to compress air as you move forward, and that east MPG. Wider they are, more air it compresses, vs slicing through. That's why the POS econo boxes have skinny bicycle tires. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...
Why does everyone concern themselves with the wheel size? Wouldn't it be the overall diameter of the tire that affects mileage more then the wheel size?

Just curious.

YES..........Not sure why people are worried about actual wheel size? The size of the tire is what you need to worry about. Wheel size has no effect on tire size, the hole in the tire is just bigger, that's it.

My factory 18" wheels are heavier than a friends 20" machined aluminum wheels.

Archived