Towing Capacity

craigsz71

The trailer has a nice sized dent in the right front. The awning looks shot (no surprise there). Check the ceiling real good for water stains, especially around the A/C.

I think you may be asking for trouble pulling that trailer with a 1/2 ton truck....just my 2 cents.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks chris for some reason i was coming up with 8400 or something like that.... so that makes me fill a lil better that theres less chance of something being wrong with it if its priced right now................ so we all agree my truck can pull this? so how much room on my towing capicity do i have left after dry weight of trailer to load it up with camping stuff?

The trailer has a nice sized dent in the right front. The awning looks shot (no surprise there). Check the ceiling real good for water stains, especially around the A/C.

I think you may be asking for trouble pulling that trailer with a 1/2 ton truck....just my 2 cents.

wait i thought we agreed the truck can haul it? how much does your trailer weigh?? i dont really get it. its got the hd tow package

Your truck can haul that trailer. There's little question about that.

A couple of things would concern me if I were thinking about that trailer.

1. The GVWR is 7340#....... Trust me on this...... you will be close to that weight when you are loaded for camping. It is very rare to see a trailer that isn't close to the GVWR when fully loaded.

2. Even if you can keep the loaded weight down to 6500#, your tongue weight will have to exceed your maximum rating. (tongue weight must be over 10% of total trailer weight to avoid swaying).

3. With 3.08 gears you are going to put a lot of wear & tear on your truck while towing that trailer.

That trailer is better suited for a 3/4-ton PU.....JMO. I'd hate to see you mess up your truck towing that trailer. That thing will be a killer to stop on a downhill grade. A 3/4 ton has much bigger brakes.

My trailer weighs 4,000# fully loaded. My 1/2 ton truck is maxxed out on every rating. The saving grace on my trailer is the low profile.

You have a much more powerful rig than mine but it's still a 1/2 ton P/U. I would not even think of trying to come down a mountain grade with that trailer behind my truck. The brakes simply won't handle it. I'd have to descend @20MPH in 1st gear and even then, I would not feel comfortable.

I don't know that you have the "HD tow pkg". I doubt it. You have a tow pkg, that's for sure. I think only the 1500HD has the HD tow pkg (I may be wrong).

wait i thought we agreed the truck can haul it? how much does your trailer weigh?? i dont really get it. its got the hd tow package

damn you lol......... the wifes all excited and done told her it would be ok to pull but now im gonna have to tell her otherwise :rolleyes: as far as the gearing goes.... since mine has a 6spd im guessing that it has alot lower 1st & 2nd gear than yours right? so it kinda evens out?? i drove the truck in town tonight and at 65mph its at 1500rpm

Drive train isn't the issue. Stick that engine & trans in a 3/4-ton P/U and you are good to go.......... again..... jsut my opinion.

damn you lol......... the wifes all excited and done told her it would be ok to pull but now im gonna have to tell her otherwise :rolleyes: as far as the gearing goes.... since mine has a 6spd im guessing that it has alot lower 1st & 2nd gear than yours right? so it kinda evens out?? i drove the truck in town tonight and at 65mph its at 1500rpm

yeah i dont want to push the truck to its limits so i may look at a few other campers..... heres a few now

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/2513236011.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bar/2513464928.html

im pulling for this one its been all re done only thing i would do is paint the outside.. and comes with extra stuff

http://columbus.craigslist.org/rvs/2530074836.html

also this one :rolleyes:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tid/2565128420.html

Not many 30' TTs that only weight 5000 pounds dry 10 years ago. $3000 for something that vintage seems low unless it has problems. Water is really the biggest issue with used RVs.

Not many 30' TTs that only weight 5000 pounds dry 10 years ago. $3000 for something that vintage seems low unless it has problems. Water is really the biggest issue with used RVs.

you talking about the orignal trailer i was wanting to haul?? what do you think of the others i posted above

Something wrong with the $2000 Coleman. The others, fine. Just thoroughly investigate anything of those vintages.

The Hi-lows will tow better, with better fuel economy.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a 1999 chevy 1500 5.3l 4x4 with 3.73 grears i tow a sixteen foot car hualer but is thinking about steping up to a 20 foot gooseneck trailer to tow my buggy... can my truck do it?

It's more about tow vehicle capacities than it is about trailer length. You need to find out:

-What the weight of the trailer is (fully loaded).

-What is the trailer tongue weight. (tongue weight must be added to payload)

-Does the trailer have it's own brakes.

-What the weight of your passengers and cargo (including any and all accessories, like bed-liner, camper shell etc)

Then you need to find the following ratings for your truck:

-GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

-Payload rating

-Front and rear axle ratings

-Tire load ratings (and age)

Remember, the ratings on a vehicle are determined when the vehicle is new. You may want to consider the age, service record and mileage when determining if some of these ratings are realistic for your vehicle.

Here is a good website that will help you with some of the terminology and calculations.

http://changingears....weight-tt.shtml

Bottom line is, safe towing is 90% about stopping and 10% about pulling. Just because a vehicle can pull something doesn't make it a good tow vehicle. What determines a good tow vehicle is whether or not that vehicle can stop the total package in an emergency stop in all weather and terrain conditions.

Before one of you jump me, i know it's a older post.

But keep in mind when pulling these trailers, all the safety equipment is important no doubt.. But check your vehicles registration. I noticed here in ND they simply double your vehicles shipping weight for your gross combined weight. So mines like 98xxlbs, even though the vehicle can handle upto around 12000. Just my .02 to keep ya outta a fine if they ever decide to pull you over and check.

Archived