Top Tier Gas - Citgo?

So I was looking through the Top Tier gas website, and under the list of retailers is a company called U.S. Oil. When you go to their website, there is a list of "brands" that you can choose to own under the U.S. Oil umbrella. There are several brands in there that aren't on the Top Tier site: BP, Citgo, and so on.

So what's the deal? Are all Citgo stations part of U.S. Oil and therefore guaranteed to sell only Top Tier gas? Any gasoline experts out there who can help?

Yeah, the reason why I ask is that I'm kinda suspicious of Citgo gas myself. All of the stations around here look like crap and are poorly maintained. I can't imagine that they spend a lot of money on high quality additives if they can't keep their stores looking nice.

The problem is that there's a dearth of Top Tier stations around me. I have to go well out of my way to find one, and I've done that for about half of my fill-ups so far but it's getting tiresome.

I use BP most of the time, but I'm running a test to see if Mobil yields me better mileage. I have a mileage app on my phone I've been logging my mileage so It should be a fair test. Similar mileage/driving all the time.

The Top Tier designation originated with a group of vehicle manufacturers (Ford and Chrysler are not on board, GM is along with BMW, VW/Audi, Honda and Toyota ). They collectively agreed to the specifications for the detergent package required to market (their) Top Tier gasoline. Some refiners however balked at this, believing that they knew more than the car company group about the chemistry that makes the best product. So, it seems to me that Top Tier's benefit is in the eye of the beholder. Gasoline (the base product) is truly a commodity (like pork bellies, feeder cattle, etc.). The only difference between brands is in the additives, these are blended in at the fuel rack when a transport is loaded before delivery to a retailer.

i buy 100% of my gas from kwik trip...its guranteed(possible spelling error, its late) if any engine failure related to fuel quality is a result of their gas they pay for it...otherwise if i'm out of the midwest i just stop at wherever and run fuel system cleaner

the way i look at it is this...gas is like motor oil, some people end of with good results with(insert brand) gas and other do not....it just depends what kind of consumer you are, some people just want cheap gas(even if it boils down to a cent or two) and theirs some that want quality fuel with minimum water content...as stated above its in the eye of the consumer...i think most consumers today don't give a shit about what they put in or do to their vehicle because they will just ditch it when it starts to fail...

I agree with the comment about Citgo; stations around my area generally look under-maintained. Hard to trust a product from there. Sunoco has been my #1 choice for a long time, Shell #2.

7-11 stations here were using shitgo (Citgo) for as long as I could remember. One horrible expierence of filling up there (water in the gas and $300.00 later) I'll never use them again. The only brands I trust:

Shell

Phillips/Conoco

BP

Chevron

Valero/Diamond Shamrock

Sinclair

Archived