Advent OGM1 with GM1 Backup Camera installed

I just looked along the bottom of my tailgate and there is about 1" oval looking hole at the bottom near the right bottom corner. I think thats what I will be using to pass the wires and coax through routing them forward to the cab. I am in the process of sourcing out the female connectors (positive and negative wire) that will plug into the small little posts on the connector block as pictured in one of prior posts of the install of the camera.

Bill,

I usually drop it out of the center hole of the tailgate if your truck has the matching hole in the middle of the bed. If not, then you can use whichever one you want.

MAKE SURE to use the split loom to insulate the camera lead as it exits the drip hole in the tailgate so it doesn't get chafed over the course of time and short the wires in the cable. It may be a little challenging, but you can work the split loom over the cable up into the tailgate through that small hole - just push enough through so you know it won't work its way out...

Thanks for the suggestions I plan on using split loom. I will be drilling hole in the bed due to no hole in the area.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone thought about installing a connector plug in the event you might have/need to remove the tailgate from the truck. Or can you just disconnect the camera from bezel and pull it out through the bottom hole of the tailgate????

Has anyone thought about installing a connector plug in the event you might have/need to remove the tailgate from the truck. Or can you just disconnect the camera from bezel and pull it out through the bottom hole of the tailgate????

GM already thought of that. After you fish the wire from the bezel out the bottom of the tailgate there is a male/female plug you can disconnect.

GM already thought of that. After you fish the wire from the bezel out the bottom of the tailgate there is a male/female plug you can disconnect.

I am talking about trucks that don't have the camera and you buy the after market one like ADC Mobile has available. Are you saying that Walt's camera that he sells has the this plug?

Thank you,

I dont think the wiring harness that comes in Walts kit has a splice in it for a quick disconnect if you need to remove your tailgate. I have mine down in the garage waiting to be installed, i will go check it out and report back.

The GM-1 kit that Walt sales has a connector that you can disconnect to remove the tailgate.

Thanks for that info regarding the connector in the camera wire harness.

Can someone tell me what is the wire gauge size for the positive and negative leads that run from the rear camera to the connector block in the cab for the camera that Walt sells???

A friend of mine makes GM wire harnesses and is making me up a connector that plugs into the connector block for the + and - side of the harness. He just wanted to know what gauge to make the wires coming off the connector.

I also emailed Walt and asked him, but thought someone here might have the info.

Ok thanks so much. So you just increased the wire size from the connector near the camera end to the connector block in the cab where it plugs into the power source....

The camera has a single wire with a quick disconnect with (4) pins. Then there is another quick disconnect with the mating (4) pins(can't remember which side is male/female), then this cable splits into (1) RCA Connector, (1) positive wire and (1) ground wire. The camera kit comes with a RCA cable to extend from this connector to the back of the radio.

I just did a butt connector splice on the 26 gauge positive and 26 gauge ground wires up to the kick panel, and crimped on a .25" wide connector to each wire. I first soldered my connections, but wasn't getting a signal, so I figured my soldering job was bad, so I just went with butt splices. Still couldn't get a connection. Turned out the RCA cable provided was really loose and was not making proper connection at the back of the radio. Luckily I live in the area where Walt is based out of, so I met up with one of his installers, and he found and fixed the problem in about 15 minutes.

Archived