Advent OGM1 with GM1 Backup Camera installed

Love this thread. Lots of good info.

Another question: If you run your ipod through the aux input with a 3.5mm headphone cable, can you use your ipod to control your music? I prefer to hold my ipod and choose songs rather than using the head unit. Anyone tried this? Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I installed my camera a deck a few days ago. I already had a factory hole in the center of my bed. I didn't drill the 1" hole they called for in the tailgate. Just seemed too larger for what it was for. I went to the auto parts store and got an assortment of rubber wire grommets and drilled a 5/8" hole in the bottom of the tailgate. With the rubber grommet installed in the hole, the hole for the wires was just large enough for the RCA jack to fit through and the wire sleeve fit snug. I don't have an easy down tailgate but there was a bar that ran across inside the tailgate closer to the sheet metal side. Drilling in the center just missed this bar. Not sure what it's for but it's not for the easy down tailgate because like I said I don't have that.

Also the diagram I got with the camera kit showing power and ground placement was incorrect. The location in those instructions doesn’t exist. The correct diagram is on the ADC website.

You have the easy lift tailgate. That bar is a small torsion bar that loads up as you lower it and it makes closing the gate slightly easier.

Well then I got something the dealer said wasn't available on my truck. As for easy lifting, it lifts no easier then the tailgate on my 2006 that I traded in. Sounds more like a gimmick to me but whatever.

Anyone else notice the lag when changing songs from the steering wheel controls? The volume change is instant but the song changes are 1.5, 2 secs of lag...

No lag here.

• 2 weeks later...

After that I plugged the +power led to Pin7 ignition and the negative to power led to Pin1 ground.

IMG_0512.jpg

Can you tell me what connectors you used and where you got them? I went to AutoZone and Oreilly's today and the only 18-22 gauge connectors were for .250" wide female. I found some .110" wide female connectors, but it says they are for audio, so I'm not sure if those would be good to use. This is it: http://qa.dormanproducts.com/p-18610-84541.aspx?parttype=Female%2520Quickslide%2520Terminal

Thanks

ROSEN DSGM1010-P11 ANYONE KNOWING ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS INDASH NAV/RADIO SYSTERM AFTER BEING INSTALLED IM MY 2010 SIERRA CREW CAB FOR THE LAST 8 MONTHS MY TRUCK SHUT DOWN WHILE DRIVING WITH MESSAGES ON THE INFO CENTER THAT MY TRACTION CONTROL WAS OFF STABLINK OFF REDUCEDED ENGINE POWER AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WAS ONLY ABLE TO DRIVE AT 20MPH HAD TOWED TO GMC DEALER WHERE THEY PULLED THESE CODES U0184. B2476. C0040. C0035. P2138. C0242 WHICH THEY SAID THAT THEY ALL READ TO MY RADIO AND THAT IT WAS WIRED INPROPERLY AND THAT IT WAS INCOMPATABLE I EXPLAINED THAT IT IS A PLUG AND PLAY DIDNT MATTER SOULUTION IS TO REMOVE RADIO AND INSTALL MY FACTORY BACK ANY SUGGESTIONS OR DO I THROW AWAY A 1200.00 RADIO AND RETURN TO MY FACTORY SYSTERM OH YEA IT COST ME $125,00 BECAUSE GM WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER AFTERMARKET

Hey Guys...did my camera install today ..2011 Silverado Crew 4x4 LT Z71... i found a drain hole in the lower middle of my tailgate..and a hole right in front of the same in my bed...didn't have to drill anything in this truck

with the tailgate closed and the handle removed i could fish a coat hanger up to the handle location and pull my wires out and still sleeve them with the plastic wire loom cover provided in the kit....hope this info helps.

By the way i agree with others ...Walt is the best... had questions, Got my operation resolved right away by his quick email,,,he even called me at home to help... "BUY FROM ADC MOBILE"

When wiring the +power led to Pin7 ignition and the negative to power led to Pin1 ground for the rear camera. do you have to turn the camera on manually on the OGM1 when going into reverse? or does it still automatically come up on the OGM1?

Thanks

When wiring the +power led to Pin7 ignition and the negative to power led to Pin1 ground for the rear camera. do you have to turn the camera on manually on the OGM1 when going into reverse? or does it still automatically come up on the OGM1?

Thanks

The camera is always on when the truck is on. Putting the truck in reverse just switches the input the OGM1 displays on the screen. So when you put the truck in reverse it's nice becuase the camera doesn't have to search for exposure of light and dark, it's ready to go.

The first time you plug the camera in you'll have to go into settings and turn on the backup camera so the OGM1 knows you have a camera hooked up. After the first time, you don't have to do it again, unless you reset your system.

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked along the bottom of my tailgate and there is about 1" oval looking hole at the bottom near the right bottom corner. I think thats what I will be using to pass the wires and coax through routing them forward to the cab. I am in the process of sourcing out the female connectors (positive and negative wire) that will plug into the small little posts on the connector block as pictured in one of prior posts of the install of the camera.

I just looked along the bottom of my tailgate and there is about 1" oval looking hole at the bottom near the right bottom corner. I think thats what I will be using to pass the wires and coax through routing them forward to the cab. I am in the process of sourcing out the female connectors (positive and negative wire) that will plug into the small little posts on the connector block as pictured in one of prior posts of the install of the camera.

Bill,

I usually drop it out of the center hole of the tailgate if your truck has the matching hole in the middle of the bed. If not, then you can use whichever one you want.

MAKE SURE to use the split loom to insulate the camera lead as it exits the drip hole in the tailgate so it doesn't get chafed over the course of time and short the wires in the cable. It may be a little challenging, but you can work the split loom over the cable up into the tailgate through that small hole - just push enough through so you know it won't work its way out...

Archived