'04 Silverado - Anybody have advice on removing the cooling fan?

I would like to replace gaskets on my water pump, but have been unable to get the cooling fan nut loosened? I used a very large crescent wrench and small sledge hammer and tried to break it loose, but was unsuccesful. I understand there are spanner wrenches I can purchase to hold the pulley in place while attempting to turn the nut. Anybody have any other methods, or advice on how to more easily remove and re-install the cooling fan? Thanks.

Do you still have the belt on? It will help hold things still somewhat.You are turning in the correct direction?

Got an air chisel? About 2 minutes into video....

• 2 months later...

Appreciate the advice guys. I have tried both of the methods you suggested and neither worked for me. I found some info online about using a chain to prevent the water pump pulley from turning while the nut is loosened. I will try this, and will post the info. back here if that works for me.

• 5 months later...

When me and my buddy did mine the belt was on 'which helps' And used the snap-on tool for it but you can put the wrench on and use the

air hammer or chisel..If your going the right direction it should break loose rather easy,

• 4 months later...

IIRC, you don't need to remove the fan in order to replace the water pump on these engines. The only time we ever removed the fan was when we replaced the clutch itself and/or the radiator.

Archived