I have the carbine version and it will bust clay pigeons all day long (7/10 usually) @ 100yds. No fancy mods, just a cheap 3-9x40 scope and I have done some things to the internals. I have run thousands of rounds of Federal bulk pack through it with no weapon related malfunctions to date. If you live in America, you have no excuse not to own one of these guns. Great training tools, ammo is next to nothing, tons of aftermarket support, and most importantly it is a FUN gun to shoot.

I want their new takedown version now, I'm just waiting for them to release a 16" version...

I own a standard model 10/22 carbine bought new in 1982, which was my first rifle that I learned to shoot at age 5 (with my dads help of course). I also own a customized stainless model with a green mountain fluted bull barrel and camo stock. The carbine is in prestine shape, so it doesnt get out much. But the stainless is my beater.

And I also want one of the new take-down versions, those are pretty slick!

If you own one of these guns, you know that the bolt can be a PITA to work. I installed an auto bolt release in mine and it was probably the best thing I have done to the gun. You still have to lock the bolt back the traditional way, however when you want to release the bolt you simply pull it to the rear and let it go and it will chamber the first round instead of having to pull the bolt back, press the release and then let it go. It makes life so much easier. While you are installing the auto release, I recommend also going ahead and installing a polyurethane recoil buffer. It doesn't do anything as far as reduce kick (there is no kick in the first place), however when the bolt cycles it provides a much softer buffer so that you don't have metal on metal contact. Both of these parts are very cheap and extremely easy to install.

Just my .02

• 2 weeks later...

I have never once found the bolt to be a issue with factory bolt release. It just comes natural to me I guess after 10's of thousands of rounds through 3 different 10/22s I have owned or do own.

I hold the gun safely pointing torwards the sky, thumb on the bolt, middle finger on the factory bolt release and its all a fluid action for me. I can release the bolt in literally half a second.

If you own one of these guns, you know that the bolt can be a PITA to work. I installed an auto bolt release in mine and it was probably the best thing I have done to the gun. You still have to lock the bolt back the traditional way, however when you want to release the bolt you simply pull it to the rear and let it go and it will chamber the first round instead of having to pull the bolt back, press the release and then let it go. It makes life so much easier. While you are installing the auto release, I recommend also going ahead and installing a polyurethane recoil buffer. It doesn't do anything as far as reduce kick (there is no kick in the first place), however when the bolt cycles it provides a much softer buffer so that you don't have metal on metal contact. Both of these parts are very cheap and extremely easy to install.

Just my .02

• 4 weeks later...

mine hasnt been cleaned in forever and it is jamming alot... How do yall recommend cleaning it? just running some oil through it or doing a complete tear down and clean?

Complete tear down a nd clean if it's been a while. It's gotta be really dirty for a 10/22 to jam.

Archived