Friends and Business

Roofer

ok, about a year and a half ago I hired a friend to come work with us. We taught him everything there is to know about roofing.

Now, about 6 months ago, he starts doing work on his own behind our backs!! My other buddies say I shouldn't be mad at him. I feel like I have been used, and now I am out help for the busy season. I haven't talked to him in a long time. Others have told me that he steers clear, cuz he doesn't want to face me.

What would you guys do?

What do you think of the whole situation?

ANY comments appreciated.

Thanks

One more thing: I plan on doing this for a living. He is doing this just to fill time while going to college. It is people like this that give honest workers a bad name because he doesn't know what he is doing and messes up alot of jobs.

Quote: from SiiLT on 6:29 pm on Feb. 17, 2001

If you were to listen to what I think you should do you would lquickly find out if blood stains come off of your bumpers and tires. lol.

It's good someone feels the same as I do!

Thanks.

The guy is a $hitheel, but there is nothing you can do. If he had come to you expressing desire to get into the roofing business, it would be different. There is no point in seeking out revenge, people like him always get what they deserve in the end. Don't offer to help him in any way, though unless it puts money in your pocket.

Be sure to wave at him when he's stuck in the ditch and it's raining, snowing, unbelievably hot, etc.,.

Good roofers are hard to find...  there are alot of fly by nights...  stick to your morals and let the guy go...   Pound the turf and cut the right people a good price and you'll do great!!!   I'm having problems gettin a good roofer that will patch my roof in the winter!!!   We have had 2 wind storms in the last month, both with 60+ mph winds and I lost about a dozen shingles.  Nobody wants to climb up there and guarantee their work in Feb.  I finally got someone to do the job but am waiting for a break in the weather... (a couple 40+ degree sunny days in a row)...  To make a long story short, if he does it right now, then in 7-10 years when the roof needs replaced...  he'll be back!!!  I've already reccomended him to others for bids...  "word of mouth means alot".

I see these fly by people.

I work at menards (like home depot) in the lumber yard.  These so called roofers are jokes.   People think they are a contractor cause they have an old beater and can half ass throw something together.

I wouldnt let any of these guys touch my roof with a 35ft pole.

Just let it go man forget about that guy.  

Thanks guys.

Shaners: Your shingles should last more than 10 years no matter what the weather is. They shouldn't come off in a 60 mph wind either, if you have good shingles.

Also, annyone whos buys shingles at Menards is NOT a roofer at all. I feel if you are doing something for a living, you should at least know a good product from a bad one.

I think I'll just let my friend go, and not worry about it. I'm sure he'll get what he's got coming.

Things like this happen all the tim eon the busisnes world. For and example, the eng firm i used to work for hired two guys, spend over ?,000 training them to use this high tech 3d cad software. The two of them quit a few weeks later.  One of then was fired from his next job!  

You just can't worry about it.

As for your friend, as long as his "side projects" are not geting in the way of your work for him, let him keep doing it. It is his reputation he's potentialy ruining.

The minute his work tangele with yours, fire him.

Quote: from RyanbabZ71 on 2:14 pm on Feb. 18, 2001

Roofer we sell CHEAP and i mean cheap shingles but we also have the contractor grade kind too that no one ever buys

What kinda (brand) shingles do you use?

We only use Certainteed brand shingles. The Landmark series are the best, they look like GAF Timberline shingles, but better.

Mervz, He went back to school for the year, and I told him not to come back. Too bad too, cuz he was a decent worker, just bad craftsmanship.

roofer,

I'm just having the back of the hip roof repaired.  The roof is about 12 years old, and the insurance company will pay ?/square to replace that section.  I think everything will be OK for about 10 years and then I'll have the whole thing redone.  The shingles that came off were still flexible.  The problem is that they never sealed for some reason on the back of the house.  The rest of the roof seems tight, and there is no curling so I'm leaving it alone for now.

I see Shaners, that's what I would do too probably. Just hope the shingles match pretty good, especially for the ridge.

Out of curiosity, what is the pitch of your roof? We get about that same price from insurance companies for a 4 in 12 pitch.

Archived