Help me Choose v LT or P

Ok, decided on the General Grabber AT2 for my next tire. 275/65/18 to replace my stock 265/65/18 Firestone.

Torn between the LT & P tires. We recently picked up a 23foot hybrid TT, Normally I'd go with the P for my regular use. But having the trailer is making me second guess myself. Mind you its not very heavy, around 4000lbs. I know my fuel mileage will take a hit with the LT. Im still leaning towards the P tires. Just don't want to make the wrong choice.

Help me out peeps!

Don't know if they make that tire in a C rating, but that might be a good compromise. I am looking at the same size tire in the Cooper Discoverer AT3, and that tire does have a C rating, instead of making the large jump to the E rated...

Sadly no C. Its E only in the LT. I was really torn between the AT2 and AT3s. The fact the General is snow flake rated, swayed me more that way. I keep going back and forth. Safety I think LT. Then I think its over kill. ugh

Fairly simple, look up the weight rating for the P rated ones and figure out if that is going to be sufficient. Most scrapyards will weigh your vehicle for like $5-$10.

You also need to be aware of the tire pressures the LT tires run at to take full advantage of the higher load rating. I have seen some posts saying the higher pressures create issues with TPMS/ABS/TC. Something about it setting codes. If you will not be carrying higher loads in the truck I would not run the LT tires. As you have already noted, it effects mileage, it also has an impact on harshness of the ride. Running a lower pressure to get the ride back negates the benefits of the LT tire.

275/65R18

116S SL

32.1 Diam

42.4 weight

44max psi

2756max load

LT275/65R18

123/120Q E

32.1 Diam

52.1 Weight

80 max psi

3415 max load

is whats listed on Generals website. Max load is 2756lbs for the P.

Im surprised at the only 10lbs difference per tire weight difference. Thought it would be more.

275/65R18

116S SL

32.1 Diam

42.4 weight

44max psi

2756max load

LT275/65R18

123/120Q E

32.1 Diam

52.1 Weight

80 max psi

3415 max load

is whats listed on Generals website. Max load is 2756lbs for the P.

Im surprised at the only 10lbs difference per tire weight difference. Thought it would be more.

10lbs of unsprung weight (weight the suspension doesn't support), 40lbs really (4 tires after all) is a huge difference. I think you'll be fine with a P-rated tire.

Im guessing this topic is really like anything, there is no real RIGHT answer.

I spoke to my dealer. He said they dont reprogram tpms so I guess thats out of the question. I think I'll go with y gut and get the p

• 3 weeks later...

Archived