Security light in 2011 Silverado stays on.

Gearbox5

Hi!

New poster here! Long time Chevy guy tho. My problem is my brother went to make an extra key for my truck and he had one made at a hardware store. It is just a plain metal key. The key works on the door and in the ignition as does my original key. The problem is that the security light is on and won't go off. The truck runs fine with both keys. I guess I have to have extra keys made at the Chevy dealership. In the meantime, can I get the security light to go off? Thank you,

Gearbox5

The metal key isn't chipped so it tripped the anti-theft system. I'm surprised it started as I thought it disabled the fuel pump but that may only be older systems. Disconnecting the battery might reset the system but if not it will likely be a dealer trip as the generic scan tools at places like Autozone won't pull body codes usually.

You can get fobs cheap on amazon and eBay. I'm a bit OCD. My main keys and my spare/gym set have a fob and GMC key, house key, and gym check in tag. My loaner key(shops mainly when I take my truck in) is just a GMC key by itself

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Archived