Seat Belt Airbags.

• Ford introduces the auto industry’s first-ever production inflatable seat belts, which are designed to provide additional protection for rear seat occupants, often children and older passengers who can be more vulnerable to head, chest and neck injuries

• Ford’s inflatable rear seat belts debuted on the 2011 Ford Explorer; Ford eventually plans to offer inflatable seat belt technology in vehicles globally

• Ford’s inflatable rear seat belts spread crash forces over five times more area of the body than conventional seat belts; this helps reduce pressure on the chest and helps control head and neck motion for rear seat passengers

• More than 90 percent of Ford research participants indicated that Ford’s inflatable seat belts are similar to or more comfortable than traditional belts, which could help increase the lower rate of rear belt usage

LINK

Neat stuff, they've been in use in airliners for several years now though you'd never know.

yeah, but most airliner Passenger Seat Belts are Lap Belts; the only shoulder belts Airliners have are given to the Crew; the Explorer's Inflatable rear Seat Belts are Lap AND Shoulder belts.

yeah, but most airliner Passenger Seat Belts are Lap Belts; the only shoulder belts Airliners have are given to the Crew; the Explorer's Inflatable rear Seat Belts are Lap AND Shoulder belts.

I know that, I flew almost weekly for five years. All I'm saying is that it isn't exactly ground breaking technology like Ford makes it out to be. New to automotive applications but if you've sat in a bulkhead row seat of some of the bigger airliners in recent years, the thing had an airbag sewn into it.

I know that, I flew almost weekly for five years. All I'm saying is that it isn't exactly ground breaking technology like Ford makes it out to be. New to automotive applications but if you've sat in a bulkhead row seat of some of the bigger airliners in recent years, the thing had an airbag sewn into it.

wow, you learn something new Every Day!

Cessna has offered the seatbelt airbags in their aircraft for at least the last 5 years, too.

Archived