Oil Leak Troubleshooting

sahls01gmc

Question

My truck is leaking oil, and I need a lil help tracking down where it is coming from.

I have replaced the oil cooler gasket, and that has helped because I no longer see oil coming form there.

I have noticed that the oil dipstick is very loose, could this be a place that oil is leaking from?

Also, I have the 6.0L with the 4L80E setup, is that an inspection cover that is bolted to the engine and transmission? It looks like it is bolted together with 6 large size bolts. Could I remove this to see if the rear main seal is leaking? Anyone know if I have a 2 piece or 1 piece rear main seal?

The part I can't figure out is why the oil leak only happens when the engine is cold. After running for 15 minutes or so, I don't notice anything leaking anymore. This leads me to believe it is a gasket of some sort that seals shut once it is warmed up.

I realize it is difficult to tell me without looking at it, but I am hoping to narrow my search.

Thanks for any help that you have to offer!

James

5 answers to this question

Thanks for the suggestions. I will first get it all cleaned up so I have a clean place to start.

I will hold off on the inspection plate unless I determine that it is coming from there. If it is, how will I know if I have a 1 piece or 2 piece rear main seal?

I will keep you updated.

yes to inspection/torque converter cover ,,,,it will hit exhaust pipe thats under it ,,,,it will not come out with exh pipe in place ,,,,,you MAY break studs at manifold removing pipe

wash area ,,,drive truck ,,,get under and look for dye as mentioned

good luck ,please let me know if you break any studs

please reread the word in caps

Archived