I want to buy a boat. Can I tow it?

Hi guys, it's been a while.

I am not a towing expert and will never claim to be.

I have a 2007 1500 SCSB with a 4.8 2 wheeler. I am looking at picking up a newer 25' boat. The trailering weight would be over 5K but under 6K lbs.

Most of my trailering would be in town. The boat ramp is not too steep.

IS this a NO! DO NOT DO IT or is it a WELL TRY IT AND SEE kind of scenario?

Thanks

My dad pulls his 27 ft boat, ~6000lbs, with a 2002 F-150, 4.6 V8 with 170,000 miles. He just pulls it from storage to the ramp, which is a few miles and has no issues or problems. I think if you're looking at a long road trip on the freeway you might be working your truck a little too hard. Also, since your truck is 2wd, watch your rear tires on the ramp. If they get into the water you might not have enough traction to pull the boat out.

After posting I did a bit more digging. Everything I found leads me to believe I will be ok.

I was concerned a bit about the boat ramp. I guess I just go for the boat. If I have to get a new truck as well then so be it. Right?

The 4.8 is not much different than the 5.3. They use the same block, I'm pretty sure. Anyways, yes it will tow it fine. But as stated above, watch those back tires and never take it down a ramp you don't think you won't make it back up.

I have a 2007 1500 SCSB with a 4.8 2 wheeler. I am looking at picking up a newer 25' boat. The trailering weight would be over 5K but under 6K lbs.

Thanks

You need to figure out what axle you got if you got the 3.23 like me you are pushing the limit as stated in the manual.

I think you'll be ok I got a 19.5 foot boat and I think the only problem you might run into with a 2wd would be if the ramp was slimey.

I got a 2wd and I haven't been stuck yet.

Don't listen to these guys saying the 4.8 is a dog. Comparing the 4.8 to the 5.3 is retarded. It's all in the axle.

It will tow OK but not great. Drum brakes are going to hurt stopping power too. The 4.8 engine is more of a grocery getting and not much of a work horse.

4.8 is a great engine. very reliable. GM went to drum brakes in the rear because the 4 disc system in a half ton was not competitive with ford and dodge for pedal effort difference loaded and unloaded. the drum system is actuallly better than the old disc system. that said, the new disc set up and the system they used for nht is obviously better than the drum set up, but the drum brakes work just fine for towing. anything over 2000# should have trailer brakes anyway.

4.8 is a great engine. very reliable. GM went to drum brakes in the rear because the 4 disc system in a half ton was not competitive with ford and dodge for pedal effort difference loaded and unloaded. the drum system is actuallly better than the old disc system. that said, the new disc set up and the system they used for nht is obviously better than the drum set up, but the drum brakes work just fine for towing. anything over 2000# should have trailer brakes anyway.

Won't find that on a boat trailer unless it's a extreme wieght. Boat trailer brakes are rare unless its a large haul.

Majority of our friend's trailers (including ours) have surge brakes.

You should be fine with a 4.8 for your use. Long haul towing with grades would be the only issue.

Sent from a jelly bean.

As said by others, you can pull the weight. It won't be fun on hills, but the ramp won't be a problem other than finding traction. One thing I haven't seen, but is probably obvious, don't try to do it with worn out highway tires. You'll be far better served with some AT tires with plenty of tread left. Above all, be aware of the ramp conditions. Know where your trailer tires are relative to the end of the ramp so you don't drop the trailer off the end. If you do that, you'll probably need some help from another truck to get you back up the ramp.

Thanks

Can you confirm which axle you have? at least for the 2012 model year manual (I dont know for 2007) shows the 3.23 ratio to have a paltry 4700lb towing capacity. I just want to point this out because this would be the difference between legal/illegal situation. God forbid you are in an accident towing over your legal limit.

Archived