Hood open, engine power reduced, service Stabil-Trac, etc.: Won't

I took my 08 in for an oil change at the dealer this morning and noticed my engine compatment was getting a little dirty, so I decided to wash it when I got home. I've done this many times on this and other cars over the years and I've never had a problem (other than wet points many years ago....), but today something went wrong!

Obviously, I try to avoid spraying water into electrical wiring and components, but then again you can't avoid everything. So I went to start it about 20 minutes after sitting in the sun and I get all the warnings. Try to start and it just goes dead. No lights, no starter, no nothing. Release the key and all the warnings are back, just rotating through the display with a couple bells thrown in. I unhooked the battery, blew air around most of the computer connections, let it sit, but still nothing.

Did some searching and see the TPS mentioned a lot with the "reduced engine power" warning. I don't think I got any water close to that, but who knows. I did pull the intake tube and looked it over but it looks pretty clean in there.

I'm hoping whatever it is drys out enough so it will at least start! I have the battery unhooked and put a charger on it just in case it's a little too low, but I doubt it. I've only got 23K on this thing and it's never given me a problem before this.

Any thoughts?

Cleared the codes with a scanner and got it to start. Still has reduced engine power and many codes for the TPS along with traction contol, etc. Mangaged to nurse it up to the dealer and hope the mini recall on the TPS covers most of the visit.

It's wait and see now!

The dealer called and they replaced the throttle body AND the pcm under warrranty (never heard anything about a pcm recall) and....it didn't fix anything. They don't know what's going on and have talked to GM about it. They say it will likely be Monday before they'll know anything.

Serously tempted to trade it in on a 13 with all the rebates, but I don't even have a truck to trade in right now!

I have to say, the dealer's been pretty fair with me so far. My truck is way out of warranty.

Cleared the codes with a scanner and got it to start. Still has reduced engine power and many codes for the TPS along with traction contol, etc. Mangaged to nurse it up to the dealer and hope the mini recall on the TPS covers most of the visit.

It's wait and see now!

What was the TPS code?

When washing the engine bay you are better off doing it by hand. Yes, I know it takes a lot longer that way but not only do the results turn out better, you have much less chance of having water in your electronics.

The sad thing is I did wash it by hand. I used some oil eater, a rag and sprayed it off with a regular hose, avoiding the electricals as much as possible.

I did tell them I had washed my motor since I'm inherintly honest, and I figured it was important information!

They aren't going to work on it until Monday when the can consult with GM about it. I'm hoping maybe something dries off by then, although I don't think that is the problem anymore.

I did pull my PCM I had tuned by Black Bear before I took it in, mostly since I thought it might cure it. That was probably a good thing since they ended up replacing it with a new one and reflashing it.

I did some research this morning and found a couple TSB's that seem to pertain directly to my problem and water. Here's one of them:

Subject: Reduced Power Message and Accelerator Pedal Position Code Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade 2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali

This PI was superseded to update models and engines. Please discard PIP3783A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The customer concern may be a SES light on with a reduced power message.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete
the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or DTCs found. If the
vehicle was brought in for a reduced power message and DTCs P2120,
P2122, P2123, P2125, P2127, P2128, or P2138 were found, inspect
connectors C109 and C205. Connector C109 is located on the left side of
the engine compartment below the underhood fuse block. Connector C205 is
located under the Upper Instrument Trim Panel. To access connector C205
use the SI procedures for Instrument Panel Upper Trim Panel with
Windshield Defroster Nozzle Grille Replacement.

Inspect all
terminal and pin fits at connectors C109 and C205. Make sure the
connectors are properly seated and locked. Make necessary wiring repairs
following SI procedures.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair
process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is
resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need
to be performed.

I copied it off and took it up to the dealer this morning. Hopefully this is something the tech. had overlooked. I'll update when it's resolved!

Hopefully they get this sorted out! It may even be a programming glitch that requires time to reset its functionality. With some of the electronic equipment on the new trucks its easy to spend several hours troubleshooting a problem not to find a fault at all. I work at a Peterbilt dealer, and occasionally we see problems that just aren't logical to diagnose. I had one a couple weeks ago where it had a CEL, and when you "pumped" the accelerator the faults would go inactive. the faults were for VGT and DEF temp erratic. Re-flashed ECM, no problems since.

Also, a few times my truck has displayed "service 4WD system" after extended wheelspin. (stuck) when my battery failed, the service theft system kept coming on. then after 3-4 days it would disappear. All those logged faults can sometimes cause confusion when troubleshooting.

Hopefully they get this sorted out! It may even be a programming glitch that requires time to reset its functionality. With some of the electronic equipment on the new trucks its easy to spend several hours troubleshooting a problem not to find a fault at all. I work at a Peterbilt dealer, and occasionally we see problems that just aren't logical to diagnose. I had one a couple weeks ago where it had a CEL, and when you "pumped" the accelerator the faults would go inactive. the faults were for VGT and DEF temp erratic. Re-flashed ECM, no problems since.

Also, a few times my truck has displayed "service 4WD system" after extended wheelspin. (stuck) when my battery failed, the service theft system kept coming on. then after 3-4 days it would disappear. All those logged faults can sometimes cause confusion when troubleshooting.

Interesting, I drive a Peterbilt for a living! Just got a new one with the Cummins ISX 550 and an 18 speed. Have you heard of any issues with the clutch? Mine seems to growl constantly, sounds like the bearings in the transmission are shot. The mechanic at work thinks it might be the one piece clutch brake they use rattling around in there. Taking up the free play in the clutch quiets it down.

Interesting, I drive a Peterbilt for a living! Just got a new one with the Cummins ISX 550 and an 18 speed. Have you heard of any issues with the clutch? Mine seems to growl constantly, sounds like the bearings in the transmission are shot. The mechanic at work thinks it might be the one piece clutch brake they use rattling around in there. Taking up the free play in the clutch quiets it down.

try greasing your crosshafts, sounds like that's your problem. Personally have never seen a clutchbrake cause a noticeable rattle or growl, the engine makes too much noise.

how new is your pete? 2014?

It's a 2013, built in 2012. I will tell our mechanic to check that out. We have about 4 of the newer ones and I hear they all do it but I haven't driven any of them. Supposedly a clutch adjustment helps those trucks, but it didn't affect mine!post-6217-0-41872800-1373148511_thumb.jpg

post-6217-0-41872800-1373148511_thumb.jpg

Archived