OEM Rear Seat Entertainment

Hello does anyone know if I can add the OEM RSE to my new 2014 z71 LTZ with the mylink with nav? I couldn't wait until the fall to order/buy the truck and I really wanted this option. I don't even know if you could add it to the GMT900 trucks. I don't like the in the head rest type and would really like the OEM to make sure everything works together and have the extra set of controls for the radio in the back seat.

• 1 month later...

I think its called an iPad...cheaper and better :D

That's the right line of thinking right there! No need to add a factory system. Go and get a better, aftermarket solution that you can take from vehicle to vehicle. :thumbs:

Let me tell you this, if it's not there, it's not wired for it either. I did this exact thing to my Avalanche and it ended up costing a ton of money and time to do. It required 2 wire harnesses, new headliner, plus the unit itself. The BCM had to be reprogrammed and I had to tear the dash apart to R&R the new harnesses. Nothing is(was) plug and play. I imagine nothing has changed in the 2014 either except for the fact it may be more complex!

But hey, anything is possible. I would advise against going down this road and opt for the iPad too! :)

And do what, exactly w/ the ipad? Prop it up on the center arm rest and try not to knock it over? Can't plug a DVD into the Ipad can you?

Most 1 year olds and even younger know how to work an iPad today so they can either just hold it OR if the kids are too young for that they do make headrest holders for iPads and other tablets. Rear entertainment systems are so old school anyhow and WAY OVERPRICED. You can do so much more with a tablet AND take it with you that I cant see how a RE system would even be an option nowadays.

Just load up the iPad with movies/games or get a wireless Seagate Goflex hard drive with built in wifi and load that thing up with HOURS of movies.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on the rear seat entertainment. It is now available. Not sure when it became available, but it is real recent. I ordered a 6.2 Denali late September, and was told by two different dealers at that time they were not sure if it would ever be an option, so I settled. Great job by GM keeping their dealers updated. When I called my dealer yesterday to see if my order (build date of Dec 16) could be adjusted, he didn't even know it was now an option.

I'll say this- every aftermarket system I've ever had doesn't work near as well or as easy as the integrated. I've had the ipads and the seat brackets also-not as easy.

I placed my order on Nov4th and it was not available but my dealer notified me on Nov14th that it was now available and was able to add to my build. GMC had not picked up my order at that time but since has and it's on my buils sheet. TPW 12/16

Just an FYI, My last 2 AV's had the rear entertainment packages and I loved them. For my new 14, I wanted one, and ended up having the dealer install a Rosen headrest system as the RT was not available yet. They are basically headrest replacements (you keep your old in case you want to move to a future truck). I got to say I like it better than the roof system. Kids can watch the same movie or different at the same time, its more comfortable viewing angle for them, and they can also play games on it (50 included). You can also play external content from Ipads, Iphones, or any other device basically. Comes with 2 leather headsets that are much nicer than my 08 AV ones. My kids love it.

It was a $1,300 dealer add. I have no affiliation. My kids use it a lot on long drives, and I also get to see out my rear window (something you can't do when the RT unit is on).

http://rosenelectronics.com/headrest-systems.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Archived