ford convert

mudndirt

hey I'm 25 living in calgary ab. I have always drove mid 90s fords but looking to make the switch to gm/chev. I'm looking for advice in buying my first. I have a low budget looking to spend around a k to get a base and work from there. i want an ext cab 4x4 v8.

i found an ad on kijiji (calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1994-GMC-Sierra-1500-sle-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ517970926) which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

i asked what minor work was needed was replied with "It needs a muffler and rear

brake drum also a high

pressure hose for power

steering , the truck still drives

ok."

any opinions?

Its a 900 dollar heap on kijiji. Needs turn signals and a grill obviously too. If it had a safety recently then maybe the front end and brakes are okay. Its not a 5.3 either... its either a 305 or 350... probably 350. Might need a trans too. Tbi trucks are turds but usually the engines run forever if looked after. Then really it will probably go better than a 302 or 351 if it runs good. I dunno, might be an alright beater. Check the front end, wheel bearings, brakes and see how bad it leaks beyond the hose. See if 4wd works... actuator on the diff failing is common, and who knows about the transfer case. Cluster swaps on those are easy as are pullinh clusters( i own like 4 tbi clusters lol) so check it through carproof or registries... it might have 540000 k lol.

9 times out of 10 on kijiji if its listed as needing work its because the owner is sick of it nickel and diming them... and it usually needs way more than they say.

And obviously get under it and see how rotten the body and frame is. That and if it shows any sign of scabbed together collision repair.

Archived