Replacing rear backing plates, have a question.

Have a 2004 Sierra 1500 2wd. The passenger side backing plate on the rear is complete toast and completely gone around the outside. In watching a video, it would seem I need to pull the axles to replace. I also see that they sell two piece plates for my vehicle and am wondering if axle removal is necessary when using the two piece plates as replacements?

It would seem to me that if I could get the bolts loose holding the old one in, that I would just use to tin snips to cut it out, then use the two piece to reassemble, which would eliminate the need for axle removal.

Anyone else use the two piece shields, and if so how did the work go? (or did you do the job yourself with a one piece shield and found it very easy?)

Thanks.

if ya leave the aftermarket 2 pc crap out of the equation and do it correctly ,you get new oil and gasket in the diff and you can actually replace the axle seals while your at it

a no brainer to me ,,,,do the other backing plate to ,,,,a nice repair job ,,,

Did backing plates on my '03 2wd a month ago. Opted for the "lazy man's" 2-piece units ($25 from Rockauto). They work as advertised, although figuring out how they mated was like solving a Rubiks cube. Really didn't want to pull axles, and my diff oil was changed recently.

IF you opt for single piece / axle pull, I would agree w/ govtech4's suggestion re: axle seals.

I replaced the backing plates with Dorman parts on my last '02 Yukon. Axle removal was fairly straighforward and as mentioned, I did this as part of routine maintenance replacing the axle seals and diff fluid. The Dorman shields were painted but I scuffed with a scotch pad and sprayed with rustproof paint. They were like new after 3 years vs. the OEM plates which were crumbling after the same usage period. You can also take the time to adjust the rear ebrake and consider it an investment in proactive maintenance.

I would go with the 2 piece plates if diff oil was recently changed. It's super easy and works very well. Just take the wheel and brakes off, rip the old one out with a prybar and channel locks and install the 2 piece ones. I did it in about 2 hrs. They last well too.

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered up the set of two piece backing plates from Amazon. ($31 delivered in two days with my Prime account) and will give it a shot maybe tomorrow if they arrive in the morning.

I believe I only need to get an 18mm box wrench as I don't believe I have one of those now and I think that is what is called for correct? I know I have everything else covered, and I had the caliper and bracket rotor off/changed last week. The only thing I need to check is how to remove the parking brake shoes and hardware.

The fluid does probably need to be changed as I have 70k on the fluid in there now, but it is a synthetic Red Line brand and I'd really like to do the work on that when it's warmer out.

Yup, 18mm. Note: They're on TIGHT. Strongly suggest you get 6 point 3/4" drive socket and good breaker bar.

Even with above, I was grunting trying to break caliper bolts.

PS: Bought new diff fluid & gasket, planning to do oil change before snow starts flying. Checked level, and oil looks amazingly pristine (after 75k mi.s). Opted to wait till Spring.

PSS: Vid on parking brake:

There's one out there somewhere also showing Dorman 2-pc backing plate install, but don't remember where...

An 18mm socket will fit in there attached to a ratchet? I already have a nice set of impact sockets that should have the 18 in there. I know the caliper bracket bolts are 19mm and I have that one in the set. I have a breaker bar as well but I think it may be too deep to use on the bolts. Will have to use the ratchet with a pipe attached.

Archived