Service 4WD still on after changing modules

dabatman99

Question

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 5.3l and the Service 4WD light came on after I changed the right differential Axle seal. I don't think I broke any wires, and put it back together with no issues. As soon as I started it up, the message came up. I checked all the wires for any issues, and found none. I searched online and 3 modules could be the culprit. The 4Wd switch, the encoder and the actuator. I bought all three brand new from Amazon. I replaced them ALL last night. Still the same message. What happens when I turn on the key is all the led's on the 4wd switch light up all at once, then go out, and then the 4wd Service message appears. Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

Probably need to disconnect the battery for a period of time, then reconnect. Or, find someone with a bi-directional (read $$$$$) scan tool.

I did disconnect the battery and tied the positive and negative together and left it overnight (approx 9 to 10 hours). I checked the 15amp 4WD fuse too, and it looked good... I even swapped it with another fuse to make sure. I hate to go to the dealership... I'm sure it's something stupid, but I cannot seem to find any broken or disconnected wiring or plugs...

Archived