How-To: Install a K2 Trailer Plug on a GMT900.

2017SierraSLT

The 2014 GM trucks come equipped with this neat trailer plug receptacle, which is both a 7 pin round and a 4 pin flat.

2014-GMC-Sierra-rear-tow.jpg

The GM part number is 22799842, lists for $30, $27.30 wholesale. If your GMT900 truck already has the factory round 7 pin plug, the existing wiring connector will plug right into the new receptacle. If your truck did not come with an OEM plug, you will need to purchase the connector from GM. Your parts guy will be able to order it and you can wire it into your truck. As expected, the existing hole in the bumper will need to be enlarged top and bottom for the new receptacle to fit. I used a Dremel tool and a battery operated drill with a 2" hole saw to achieve this. In addition to the outside of the bumper needing the 2" hole added, a notch will have to be added to the bumper understructure to clear the connector, since the wiring plugs in at the top of the receptacle. I used the hole saw to do this, but make sure that the existing rear lighting harness is out of the way to prevent damage. The opening needs to be 3.5" top to bottom. The plastic bumper top piece will need to be slightly modified with a Dremel so that the receptacle will fit. The 2007-2013 receptacle twists into the bumper. The 2014 receptacle simply snaps into the bumper opening. It has two large spring steel clips that keep it firmly attached to the bumper. Unfortunately, the photos I took during the install were lost. So, this is very doable, and the end result looks like GM put it there. I have some after shots of the finished product:

1512830_726513844028372_1351473458_n.jpg

1513329_726513910695032_1603380708_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. A acquaintance has a 2013 F-150 and the factory trailer wiring receptacle is mounted low under the bumper. Looks very bad. The Dodge Rams have had the dual plug for a few years now. I am glad GM has enhanced their new trucks with this part. It's all in the details.

• 1 month later...

U-HAUL sells the identical receptacle for about the same money as the OEM part. Nice to see the same part available in several locations!

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Wiring-lights/Tow-vehicle-wiring/Plug-In-Simple!-Wiring-Kit-7-to-7-4?id=7879

Archived