Hi all, Aluminum knuckle question..

My Z71 CC has aluminum control arms and knuckles. I am wondering if anyone has tried separating the upper ball joint on these aluminum knuckles? (for strut removal for leveling kit) I always just beat the steel ones till it popped out, thinking this would not be good idea on the aluminum. :-/

You need to get yourself a pickle fork / balljoint seperator.

^^^^ just becareful not to tear the boot if you use this... I like using those if im replacing the ball joint. have you seen the knuckle are you sure the knuckle is alum? I thought only the control arms were alum. either way seeing how there is a lot of weight that bears on those knuckles I am more than positive you would be ok to hit it a few time with a BFH. since these trucks are still knew it should not take a lot of force to get the knuckle separated from the ball joint. now if you have had the vehicle a few years and drive in the road salt then things might be different.

I have a fork, trying not to use this as Iam not changing the ball joint, and they inevitably tear em up. I was hoping someone had experience with the aluminum knuckle. I did rap on it a a bit, but the difference in metals seems to make the knuckle grip it pretty tight. Going to try some heat tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not use a pickle fork and do not use heat. A simple rap on the knuckle will pop it loose just like it did for the steel A arms. We've had aluminum A arms on the Corvettes for years and this is how we've always disassembled them.

I have taken mine apart. I used an air hammer with a flat hammer tip. It took about 5-6 blows and they popped right out. No damage done to aluminum at all. I would also not recommend a fork.

Do not use a pickle fork and do not use heat. A simple rap on the knuckle will pop it loose just like it did for the steel A arms. We've had aluminum A arms on the Corvettes for years and this is how we've always disassembled them.

I tried quite a few raps, wasn't wanting to try much harder. Thanks.

My '14 has the aluminum a-arms and spindles, and I did my leveling kit about a week ago. I used a hammer, no heat or fork. After hitting the drivers side a few times with no luck, I gave up. As I was walking away the ball joint popped all on it's own. The passenger side took more effort, maybe a half hour of on-again, off-again hammering. But I got it done without heat or a pickle fork. The hammer did mark up the surface of the aluminum a bit, but nothing major. I like the idea of using an air hammer, wish I would've thought to use mine.

Archived