Quick question on a dual battery setup...

Alright, so I looked through a good number of threads, but couldn't really find the answer to my question. If I run a dual battery setup, and then run an isolator on the positive cable between the two batteries, a lot of people say to hookup the turn on lead to something that keys on with the truck, so I can run the aux battery and then charge it when I start the truck. But, couldn't I just run it to a switch on the dash so the aux battery starts feeding the primary battery when I flip the switch on?

Also, does the power on the isolator run both ways or just one way? This would play a role in the switch I would like to hook up.

I guess if it works in feeding both ways through the isolator, it would be just like if I ran it in parallel, but with the safety of a switch so I don't drain my primary start battery.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This is expen$ive but it looks like it comes with a lot of what you will need. Supposed to manage the charging on its own, then if you need to jump off the second battery you just push the button. Also has an indicator light.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/40121.pdf

This is expen$ive but it looks like it comes with a lot of what you will need. Supposed to manage the charging on its own, then if you need to jump off the second battery you just push the button. Also has an indicator light.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/40121.pdf

They have a schematic on the install sheet. I think I'm going to just steal their setup and build my own. Be cheaper and higher quality, cause i did it :D only thing I need from them is the controller

Sent while drinkin' a cold one...

Archived