Soaked Rear Carpeting

Well I guess it's my turn for something fun. I took my weathertec mat out of the back of my truck to vacuum and discovered the passenger side rear carpeting soaked with water. So I brought it straight to the dealer and set up an appointment for Tuesday. He said they'll have to remove the seats, carpeting and do water testing.

Something else I'm going to mention to him is that 2 or 3 times when the truck was wet (large beads of water all over the hood and roof), when I hit about 35 or 40, I could actually hear some water gurgling or dripping somewhere to the left of the driver's seat. I assumed it came from the pillar area and was maybe water running off the roof/gutters and down the pillar between the doors. Thought that was strange but as soon as all the water had run off the truck I didn't hear it again.

Just got mine back from the dealer today. One of the things it was in for was a water leak. I had water dripping from the drivers side sun visor mount. They tell me it turned out to be the seal for the sat antenna. They also applied the recall fix and an update for the climate control

I have has a few trucks where the third brake light leaks

Yeah I've heard of that. Last vehicle with a chronic unsolved water situation was a Jeep Wrangler but they're supposed to leak lol!

Mine truck had the same issue water was coming in around a bad seal on the cab of truck between the bed and cab. The seal kinda looks like flaps on your dryer vent on the outside of your house. It's there for cab pressure so the doors don't bounce back when you close them. Dealer fixed it same time they did the back window recall. Water runs the inside behind the back seat and pools up underneath the mat under the carpet

How would the water get under the floor mats in that instance?

Bill, maybe a bad body weld on the floor pan?

Mine truck had the same issue water was coming in around a bad seal on the cab of truck between the bed and cab. The seal kinda looks like flaps on your dryer vent on the outside of your house. It's there for cab pressure so the doors don't bounce back when you close them. Dealer fixed it same time they did the back window recall. Water runs the inside behind the back seat and pools up underneath the mat under the carpet

Good things for the dealer to check. Like I said it's going in Tuesday and he'll keep it for about 3 - 4 days he said to find/fix the leak and get the carpeting dried out. Meantime he's giving me a rental car - something lovely I'm sure! But I'll keep you posted on what they find. I am curious about the water sound though - I'm getting older but I'm not hearing things - I definitely heard it and it was a fluid sound.

It seems to me they're going to find something that can only happen when the truck is in motion in wet conditions. Since it sat somewhere for 3 months before it was sold to me, if it was just rain that did it, it would have happened before. Even here in my driveway the rain didn't seem to wet the carpeting. But after a few times of driving in rainy conditions is when it happened.

It only showed up after I put the weathertecs in. I'm blaming them! LOL

Gravity

Again how would the rear mats be dry on the surface, but soaking wet underneath if the sunroof was leaking? There would be evidence of water on top of the weathertech floor liner since its basically a once piece tray...gravity, while amazing isn't magic.

Archived