Who has had a TPS failure on a 900-series?

MikeNH

Question

I know there is a TSB/warranty extension for this but today while grabbing lunch the truck lurched forward hard enough where I almost hit the car ahead of me then it started idling like crap with the engine light on and stabilitrac disabled. I scanned it and got a TPS code. Cleared it and now it seems ok but I'm sure it'll be back. Does this match what others experienced?

7 answers to this question

Great my 05 has a programmer installed and its acting wacky, like a tp sensor problem. Are you guys saying I can't just replace the sensor or entire mass air flow system which auto zone recommends. Could this also cause valve train ticking and erratic temp gauge behavior.

Should also mention this truck has had a problem in the starting area as I turn the key and nothing happens and let go and full power to instruments lights radio air etc....turn the key and nothing. sometimes a delay in the turn key and actual starter engaging. No weird noises and no other alarms. done this off and on for 180,00 miles.

MIke I haven't had it on my 09 Silverado but I only have 2000 miles on it. But my son had the problem with his Suburban. Dealer installed a new TPS sensor. And programed ECM. Just remember If you clear the code and take it to the dealer they won't do anything. There has to be a code present before they will fix it.

Oh I know, I just cleared it to see if it would come right back. I was only at lunch so I had no intention of going to the dealer then. I'm going to load the stock tune back (which would have cleared the code anyhow I think) and bring it in if the code reappears.

Probably the ignition switch, judging from all the failures in the news lately. Mine has been doing that intermittently for a while now - only 60k on the clock when it started.

Great my 05 has a programmer installed and its acting wacky, like a tp sensor problem. Are you guys saying I can't just replace the sensor or entire mass air flow system which auto zone recommends. Could this also cause valve train ticking and erratic temp gauge behavior.

The TPS problem does not extend to the 800-series (99-07) trucks (in that there is no service campaign for them). I am not sure offhand if the TPS is separate from the stepper motor or not honestly but if not then the cost to replace it will be quite high. But neither a TPS or MAF (which can easily be replaced by itself) would cause the issues you describe. The TPS would cause the truck to go into reduced power mode and you'd have a top speed of 40-55 MPH or so and the truck would be sluggish as hell but shift very firmly along with poor idle quality. The MAF would also cause poor idle quality too. The temp gauge may just be a faulty cluster- the 03-07 800-series trucks are notorious for bad stepper motors in the cluster.

Well the issue came back a few weeks ago. Had to go to the dealer. New TPS, reprogrammed ECU and it was all covered under the special coverage for that part. Didn't notice any difference in responsiveness but it's been running fine the past couple weeks since the repair.

Archived