CSFI to MPFI

What year did GM start using the MPFI in the 5.7's? I have a '97 and was wondering if it needed to be upgraded. I've seen where some people upgrade to the marine intake. Are there other intakes that can be used? I would like to get a little more performance out of the 5.7. I guess what I'm asking is..... does my '97 5.7 Suburban have the CSFI system on it?

If you look at the emissions sticker under your hood (either on the airbox or on the radiator support usually) it will tell you the type of fuel system. I thought they went to MPI in 1996 when they did Vortec heads but I may be wrong.

GM went to CSFI on their 1996 to 1998 and certain 1999 model year vehicles. CSFI was the fuel injection system on the first generation Vortec engines.

Another horrendous GM design prone to constant P0300 misfire conditions due to clogged/sticking poppet valve design. As a result, GM issued a TSB and came out with a MFI system as an upgrade which positioned the fuel injector at each cylinder.

Yep,most likely.

I did this upgrade on my wife's '99 Burb because it wouldn't start one morning.I replaced a bunch parts as anyone would do....plugs,cap,rotor,etc.Nothing helped so as a last resort I had it towed to our local Chevy dealer.Cost me $125.00 but it was well spent.The diagnosis was a failed fuel injector module(the black rectangular box with round ends where the tubes connect to).So I opted for the upgrade(I installed it myself,not too bad of a job)and what a difference....smoother idle,better throttle response,better mileage and just better overall performance.

Luckily I work for an auto parts warehouse and got it at a great price :thumbs:

Yep,most likely.

I did this upgrade on my wife's '99 Burb because it wouldn't start one morning.I replaced a bunch parts as anyone would do....plugs,cap,rotor,etc.Nothing helped so as a last resort I had it towed to our local Chevy dealer.Cost me $125.00 but it was well spent.The diagnosis was a failed fuel injector module(the black rectangular box with round ends where the tubes connect to).So I opted for the upgrade(I installed it myself,not too bad of a job)and what a difference....smoother idle,better throttle response,better mileage and just better overall performance.

Luckily I work for an auto parts warehouse and got it at a great price :thumbs:

Thanks Gary! Now I just need to find one at a good price now!

So-k guys! went to bed way before y'all did! Just trying to figure out where to start with fixing the Suburban. Might as well do the upgrade since I'm doing a full blown tune-up on it. I'm going to change out all the fluids, antifreeze, engine oil, trans oil, brake fluid, rear end...... change out the muffler bearings and carburetor belt....ect....ect.......... :lol: Going over it with a fine tooth comb! I'm one of those picky guys! (so my wife says)

It also has a clicking noise coming from the passenger side of the motor when the engine is cold, so I've got to check that out also. Could be a stuck valve/lifter. I can hear it in the exhaust too.

Archived