Old AWD vs New AWD

So I've been searching a lot and researching 4wd and awd systems. I currently have a 99 silverado and am familiar with how that 4wd system works. I'm looking to upgrade to something newer, possibly with AWD. From what I can tell, the NVG-149 viscous coupling style is better than the BW-4481 open diff style; like on 08+ denalis. I have a basic understand of how both systems work but can someone enlighten me on why the viscous coupling system, or what about the older awd, like on the Silverado SS, is better in snow than the newer denalis?

The viscous coupling allows for some degree of lock up, similar to 4-high on a normal truck. The new system has an open differential in the transfer case so it could allow 100% of the power to an axle with no traction. There are electronics to help with this but it in no way is as good as the mechanical system.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe mechanical systems have less of chance to go wrong. I.e mis communicating, shorting , or just corrosion can screw with the system. If you PM anything it will work well. But I agree with MikeNH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2012 AWD Denali and its very good in snow. Better than any 4x4 truck I ever owned and I've owned a few (89,92,96,99,01,04,08,10). 99% of the time you don't even realize you are driving an AWD vehicle. Quiet and trouble free in 23,000 miles. Only thing I ever did was get rid of the low bidder ATF right away for 100% synthetic ATF (Dexron VI req'd).

If you put 2 trucks in front of me, one 4x4 and one AWD I would take AWD without hesitation even if it costs more. I also have a 2009 Cadillac CTS with AWD. The car feels like its on rails.

Archived