Reverse Camera On/Off Mod

The cam doesn't get power till it's put in reverse so you'd need to run the power wire to a constant 12v ignition source but the image might stay on the screen if it get wired up like that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong I've only dealt with aftermarket cams

Edited by Full Lock

I would like to have that option on a switch, why would the factory not offer that?

Because displaying video visible to the driver while on motion is illegal in most states.

Because displaying video visible to the driver while on motion is illegal in most states.

Like when you are backing up?

I assume there is an exemption? I know people who got ticketed for videos playing on a dash screen. Of course a movie is different than the rear camera feed but I don't know exactly how the law reads. They probably don't what people staring at the screen instead of driving.

• Like 1

It not like they are not already watching video on phones, pads, and aftermarket video.

Yeah but the law says you're not supposed to and the manufacturer may not want to be an enabler. Nevermind that there is no real reason to do so. Set your trailer up right the first time. :lol:

It is not trailer set up that I would be looking at. When hauling my tractor, quads, etc. It would be nice to check the load, especially the tie downs. The camera has a good field of view beyond just the hitch. I can enter my nav map and watch it and weather radar. I hear the new f150 will have multiple cams to include side video shot from from the mirrors, will be interesting to see see what they do.

I'm amazed that people expect the factory to do this for us. Do I want it? Yes! I would also like video display but any auto maker that included this would be sued the first time someone wrecked. Ford may have cameras surrounding the vehicle but don't expect to be able access them while the vehicle is in motion. That's just a distraction to the driver and in all actuality I don't want everyone on the road to have access to this.

I don't expect GM to do this for us, in fact the thread is how do we mod it ourselves. I think it could be very simple and cheap for the factory to do and options = $. While I understand the liability aspect I have known for a long time that there is no controlling what people will do. I don't want everyone going down the road with 3 screaming kids and two Disney movies playing but they are, I don't want everyone on the road to have access to alcohol and drugs but they do. I can be just as distracted now with my weather map/radar, Bluetooth, phone apps, etc.

Here is a crazy experiment, shifting the truck into reverse while driving to activate the camera.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=shift+into+reverse+to+activate+rear+cam&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=FCAD896B6407A39C8CADFCAD896B6407A39C8CAD

There are others that have been successful with this mod in other vehicles. I would like to see some schematics for our trucks but I do not know that it is even possible to do with wiring as it could require a software change since the modules know and control everything on the truck.

I assume there is an exemption? I know people who got ticketed for videos playing on a dash screen. Of course a movie is different than the rear camera feed but I don't know exactly how the law reads. They probably don't what people staring at the screen instead of driving.

Video entertainment in the front of the cab, or visible to the driver is illegal in most states.

Rear view live video is not illegal. Example, most class A RVs have this system in place.