Stability and Steering Failure

This has happened to me several times:

I'll be driving and the Stabilitrak will fail and the steering will go out. It has happened at lower speeds well parking or turning. The engine and steering fail and the electric cycles off and back on again.

It has occurred at least 5 times in the past week. I am taking my truck in to get serviced now and they said that there is not a recall associated with these issues.

One here had a similar issue? It's really starting to freak me out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I remember my dads chevy hhr which has electric steering would become difficult to steer in parking situations due to the many revolutions of the steering wheel without the system having a chance to rest. Seems stupid but it's one of the downsides of electric power steering. The hhr manual talked about it too but I'm not sure if the 2014 silverado manual says anything about that or not. The solution in the manual for the hhr was to give the steering wheel time to rest!

Update: My service guy called me and said that a technician was driving and had the same thing happen. They checked the obvious places like batter connections but are still coming up with no answers. He said they might go to GM direct and have someone more techinncal start looking at it.

Sad to hear that 17 years later GM still hasn't designed a safe steering system. My 97' (first year production of variable speed steering) is downright frightening when the steering wheel violently jerks out of your hand. I've told my wife she's never allowed to drive my truck as we've deemed it "The Rolling Deathtrap"

Archived