Chev vs GMC which is better value

Hi everyone, I live in Australia and am I looking at buying a new 6.2l crew cab LTZ SLE Z71 version of the trucks, I am confused now as to which is better value for money and has the best features between the two. This truck will cost me near on $100k by the time I get it (it needs t be converted to right hand drive) so I am hoping to get every option I can, as it will be the last vehicle I buy (at that cost) my main problem is, once it leaves the USA it has NO warranty and that scares the $&@$ out of me!

Which would you guys recommend and why in your opinion.

Greatly appreciated, feel free to pm if it's easier.

I have to find a reliable dealer as well, sorry it's long winded.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Aussie,

I have had a couple GMCs and a couple Chevys. Not much difference in value, if any. I think it boils down to your personal preference on style.

You might read this article. Nothing specific about when, but GM is considering offering right hand drive vehicles in Australia.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/cadillac-camaro-and-chevrolet-trucks-could-come-to-australia-20140113-30pzn.html

Aside from ascetics, they're literally the same vehicle with the same price tags. It really just comes down to which one you think looks better. I have a Chevy, but that's only because the closest GMC that was completely identical to my truck was about 300 miles away. I just like the look of the grille better, which is really the only difference aside from the badging.

As for the lack of a warranty, I personally have never had any issues with any of the GM trucks I've owned. Not at any milage. Just make sure they sort out all of the potential recall issues before it's shipped. I was allowed to drive off the lot with a transfer case issue that I experienced on the ride home, and later found out there was a recall about 2 months before I bought it. Seems like that should have been sorted out before/during the sale process. So yeah, just make sure that's all squared away and you should be good to go. But I'm sure you could by a warranty over there for a reasonable price. If you're spending 100k on it, it might be a good idea to look into it.

Good luck.

if open to spend AUS $100, I'd spend it on a vehicle native /known to Australia and one with a high resale value among Aussie consumers, maybe a Land Rover, etc before I spend that kinda cash on importing a vehicle that would continue to rely upon importing parts, spares, etc. much less modifying it for right hand drive.

Import one of these trucks to Australia and then somehow convert it to right hand drive? riiiiiight.

this dude is a clown.

Oh, he's got $100k to blow on this bad idea?

this dude is a kid. and we are clowns if we actually believe him...

Import one of these trucks to Australia and then somehow convert it to right hand drive? riiiiiight.

this dude is a clown.

Oh, he's got $100k to blow on this bad idea?

this dude is a kid. and we are clowns if we actually believe him...

Research American trucks that have been converted to RHD and imported to Australia. $100k is right in line. You have to purchase the truck itself, ship it across the world,and have the whole interior reconfigured.

Know what you are talking about before being rude and calling people out for no reason.

Here is some information for you. I believe there are more differences with the 2014 Sierra and Silverado than I remember since 1976. As you can see there is $500.00 more for a Sierra but as far as I was concerned the difference were worth more than that to me. While not mentioned below the Sierra's have illuminated dash knobs. I do not know if they are correcting the Silverado's being shipped now. Interior trim is actual aluminum on Sierra and not plastic. For me it was an easy choice as I like the GMC front end, but I always have. My advice is choose the one that you like, your paying for it. Best of luck!

By the way, love your country. Was in Perth, Sydney, and Albany in the early 80's. Great memories!

We recently got our hands on some GMC material that illustrates the difference in standard content of the 2014 Sierra compared to the Silverado, and in that regard, the new Sierra does feature more standard equipment than a comparable Silverado, while carrying a slightly higher base price (of roughly $500) — lending more credence to the notion that GM is attempting to position GMC further upmarket from Chevrolet.

2014 GMC Sierra standard content over comparable 2014 Chevrolet Silverado trim SIERRA VS. WORK TRUCK SLE VS. LT SLT VS. LTZ PROJECTOR HEADLAMPS 8" COLOR TOUCH RADIO WITH INTELLILINK POWER ADJUSTABLE PEDALS UPPER TIE-DOWN HOOKS REAR VISION CAMERA ALUMINUM TRIM CHROME BUMPERS (CORNER STEPS ON REAR) LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (4WD ONLY) CARGO BOX LIGHTING WHEEL ARCH MODLINGS SOFT IP AND TRIM UPPER TIE-DOWN HOOKS BODY COLOR BUMPER TOP CAP ALUMINUM TRIM CHROME BELT MOLDINGS CLOTH SEATS LED CARGO BOX LIGHTING WHEEL ARCH MOLDINGS CHROME GRILLE SURROUNDS BODY-COLOR SIDE MOLDINGS LED SIGNATURE HEADLAMPS CHROME BELT MOLDINGS BODY-COLOR DOOR HANDLES WHEEL ARCH MOLDINGS UPPER TIE-DOWN HOOKS PROJECTOR HEADLAMPS

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/06/here-are-the-equipment-level-differences-between-2014-gmc-sierra-and-2014-chevy-silverado/#ixzz37Nuopf75

There is a guy I bought my first dually from that worked in a dealership in Bloomington, IL that specializes in this with regard to getting the desired trucks, setting up shipping to the buyers country & think he coordinates the conversion components. His name is Nate Huskins & lives in Washington, IL. Maybe he can help with questions & other things. http://www.exportusautos.com/index.htm

Hi guys thanks for your replies, first up, spectaculous grow up!
They have been importing these trucks here for ever and I have been wanting one for 25 years (it takes a while to save that kind of coin) the cost of the trucks over here through dealers who import them ranges from $140 - $160k. The truck cost is the same no matter who buys it in the US, it is the freight, taxes and the conversion $40k + on average plus agent fees etc that push the price up, there are hundreds imported and converted every year along with other makes and models,.
The price gets high because the companies doing the conversions choose to cover the warranty to justify their prices and Australia is a pretty big country to cover to get parts to and find someone to repair the truck if not get it back to the dealer it was bought off (6000kms in my case) If buy it myself, import it and they just do the conversion, they will warranty their work only which is understandable, it could also potentially save me $30k which would be a lot of "repairs" as such the way I see it, plus I can't see myself trucking it 6000kms at the expense of $4500 for a recall on a transmission bracket as example, which may be a $20 part if that makes sense, I can order one, get it sent over and get a mechanic to fit and it would be cheaper (does it sound like a "pipe dream" has gone into looking at buying one ?)
My question was "which was better value between the two", I was thinking creature comforts, aluminium trim vs plastic, the instrument clusters seem different, the obvious being front end (that's appearance) are there any others? Unfortunately I can't just go look at one because there aren't any here yet and there are only 2500s brought into Australia not 1500s mostly because of the towing package (I will never need that towing capability and I don't need that much of a heavy duty truck, I want to enjoy it)
I would definitely do the GM recall search before the truck left the USA that's for sure, I still need to find a trustworthy dealer on the west coast near LA (closest to the shipping ports) as well.

These trucks are awesome and value for money you can't match it IMO, a landcruiser here will cost $120k for the same leather package as one of these trucks and I can't put tools or a bike in the back of that. Plus we only live once and I have worked hard to try and make a dream come true and now it's time to make it happen I only have one shot and one to do it right. I obviously want to do things down the track like exhaust (borla seems impressive) plus the steps etc and it is a truck that for ever unless I win lotto or marry a rich woman haha

Cheers and look forward to seeing others replies

Left hand drive is legal if the vehicle is pre 89 I think or around there. When they sent the suburbans here as a factory right hand drive from Mexico I think, the finish was disgraceful and they had nothing but dramas with them that's why they scrapped it I believe, they should of brought trucks out instead. When the companies convert them here in Australia (there are companies here sending them to Shri Lanka and the philipennes to save cost and the finishes are noticeable, you get what you pay for) do,the conversions they are as if they left the factory in the US our laws are very high safety wise, it's the finishing touches that separate the guys who do the conversions from each other.

My late father picked up an old 56 belair when I was 10 yrs old and we still have it and that is factory right hand drive, so it kinda sucks that they did it back then and not now, but hey that's life and if you want something bad enough you work hard for it and appreciate it!

Archived