Chev vs GMC which is better value

Yeah I've seen photos of these conversions before and they look factory. As I understand it the buy-in price may be insane but they also hold their value over there. Someone from Australia posted here earlier this year about how little the price drops.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if there are any Australian vehicle manufacturers, and what the predominant "factory-made" right-hand drive pickups are that the average pickup owner drives. Seems to me that unless money just wasn't an object, I'd buy a cheaper factory-built right hand drive pickup. Even if the quality may not be the same, it's hard to imagine that the extra money spent on the conversion is worth it in the long run.

I know there must be lots of reasons that the larger pickups requiring conversion are attractive, and I'm curious what some of those might be.

Don't get a 2014 too many issues wait for a '15..... Honestly though American cars have so many issues with recalls and what not I'd be very leery of doing what you're doing.

I'm wondering if there are any Australian vehicle manufacturers, and what the predominant "factory-made" right-hand drive pickups are that the average pickup owner drives. Seems to me that unless money just wasn't an object, I'd buy a cheaper factory-built right hand drive pickup. Even if the quality may not be the same, it's hard to imagine that the extra money spent on the conversion is worth it in the long run.

I know there must be lots of reasons that the larger pickups requiring conversion are attractive, and I'm curious what some of those might be.

Nowhere else in the world makes or sells fullsize trucks. They're unique to this continent.

Aussie... with all due respect.

Save $50k and get one of these!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ute_600e-600x400.jpg

is that the Holden?

i know GM has a ElCamino style vehicle in europe i think its by Holden.

ide love to get my hands on a old ElCamino, my buddy is buying a house with a big garage next year so we may drive to mexico and pick one up. hes for a trailer that can pull it....i want a story behind my ElCamino not just going to buy 1 locally for 8x what they go for down there....sure ill pay that in gas and time but well worth it.

Hi Luster, check this ute out, these are what we love here, power to weight is awesome!

http://www.shackshsv.com.au/hsv_au/nv_overview.asp?id=5&name=HSV+Maloo+R8 I think they are about $60k ++

Bill most of the utes here are like the landcruiser tray back I linked earlier or your hilux, ranger etc otherwise it is a ute like what Luster put up in either Holden or Ford version, when you have 300 plus kw on a rear wheel drive ute with no weight in the back its great! Plus guys are super charging them or adding turboS. Most guys ry and get maximum horse power out of these utes and aim at 600 plus at the rear wheels, these motors are coming to us from GM and a massively detuned!

I have an older version of this style of ute with an alloy tray back, it has the LS2 motor with a 6 speed gear box, heaps of fun for a work ute.

We love our rear wheel cars

The trucks hold their value here in a big way, I nearly bought a 2007 truck and that was selling for $70k but the guy changed his mind because it was the K1500 LTZ he couldn't find anything the same value for money with a 6litre, 6 speed in it with only 26,000 miles. I was pretty pissed I missed that one, but for the extra $40k you get a brand new one and keep it for ever pretty much (in my case anyways)

You don't want to know how much or corvettes new are going for over here !!

You should see what we do to your SS that you run over there! Guys spend big bucks and these cars are awesome here, the ute in the link has big brothers in the sedan family, check out the GTS and Senator or for pure luxury the Grange which is the flag ship, problem is they all depreciate super fast over say 6 years, you could pretty much pick one up for close to half the original buying price I think.

That HSV is a sweet ride! Yeah, I know it can't replace a truck. And I think the Silverado is the best truck you can buy! The 2015's are available to order now! :cheers:

Nowhere else in the world makes or sells fullsize trucks. They're unique to this continent.

So I'd just get one and drive it with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side. Unless driving on the wrong side of the car is illegal in Australia. Here in the U.S., you can import a european car and steer from the right

If I was looking to do this I'd wait just a little while and get a 2015 6.2L and have it supercharged before it was shipped. If you're going to blow the warranty right off the bat do it right ;)

I'd also probably take a vacation to come drive and inspect it before it leaves the continent.

That's the plan coaster, unfortunately bill the car has to be at least 25 years old I think to keep it left hand drive and drive it.

When any car is brought into the country to be converted it MUST be back to factory standard, including exhaust and original rims and tyre sizes before they will licence it, after that you can modify it and cross your fingers you don't get pulled over by the police.

I am going to wait until December and see how the "issues" are going, I was expecting dramas but thought they may have them sorted after 12 months, but that's life, it's a NEW model, it's to be expected. As we say here "shit happens" you deal with it.

So I'd just get one and drive it with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side. Unless driving on the wrong side of the car is illegal in Australia. Here in the U.S., you can import a european car and steer from the right

It is far from that simple in the US. A RHD car has to be like 20 or 25 years old before you can bring it here. You can gamble with gray market imports but just the other day there was an article about the feds seizing like 40 Land Rover Defenders from owners. Not dealers, but owners who bought them, went through the process to make them legal here (supposedly) and the feds still took them. I don't agree with that, the government has no business harassing law abiding citizens but they can and do. I can't imagine Australia is any better with big brother government unfortunately. If the OP wants an American truck, he has to jump through the regulatory hoops.

Archived