DTC P1133 and TSB 08-06-04-045A 2008 Silverado 4.8L

I have a 2008 Silverado, 4.8L, 28,xxx miles that is plagued by the DTC P1133. Heated O2 Sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1 insufficient switching. The truck is totally stock, no mods. No warranty but I replaced both front sensors with new AC Delco OEM, researched, inspected wiring, etc. there are no obvious problems. The left sensor was replaced about 2 years at the dealer & it went away for a while. Cleaned MAF, throttle body, new air filter & more routine stuff. There is no rhyme or reason to when the CEL comes back on. It comes and goes after I clear it, but recently it's been more frequent.

I have come across a TSB #08-06-04-045A that reprograms the PCM/ECM that addresses this exact problem. It has to do with higher sulfur content gasoline from lower tier gas companies (for example Walmart/Murphy where I've been getting gas lately) causing codes P1133 & P1153, front O2 sensors. Funny thing too because recently I've been noticing that strong sulfur smell more than I had been from the truck.

I've tried name brand "better" gas, fuel system treatments. I've got a call in to the local Chevy dealer where I bought it & am waiting to hear back now. Will hopefully bring it in this week for reprogramming.

Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with this P1133 or P1153 a & the TSB? Any other thoughts? It's driving me nuts. truck runs OK etc. Thanks

Took truck in to dealer today and had the PCM/ECM re-programmed . Pointed out the TSB and they did the re-program in accordance with GM Document ID #2200260, which may just be the procedure they use to perform the TSB. Haven't found any details out about Documents, and very little on TSB's. They're very secretive with their TSB's and unless you happen across one online and point it out, they're not going to do the research.So now the latest upgrade is done and so far no codes . Driven further, more often & same tank of gas with no code thrown than when I would get the code so time will tell. Too bad it cost me time & $116.00! By the way, Walmart/Murphy gas was giving me the code most often & smelled like sulfur quite strongly. Coincidence? Nah, cheap gas.

Took truck in to dealer today and had the PCM/ECM re-programmed . Pointed out the TSB and they did the re-program in accordance with GM Document ID #2200260, which may just be the procedure they use to perform the TSB. Haven't found any details out about Documents, and very little on TSB's. They're very secretive with their TSB's and unless you happen across one online and point it out, they're not going to do the research.So now the latest upgrade is done and so far no codes . Driven further, more often & same tank of gas with no code thrown than when I would get the code so time will tell. Too bad it cost me time & $116.00! By the way, Walmart/Murphy gas was giving me the code most often & smelled like sulfur quite strongly. Coincidence? Nah, cheap gas.

sorry bud but there is no secrecy to a TSB as its not meant for the public anyways ,,,its a fix for a known issue for a technician to use ,,,not for a customer to demand,,,,,,

when a tech pulls a code they SHOULD put that in the search menu of GM service info after he copy and pastes your VIN in the service info ,,,

all info comes up INCLUDING tsbs ,,,,,the tech reads them and if it applies to the job before him he WILL do it ,,,,

no conspiracy going on or hiding anything from anyone ,,,,

sorry

i was a tech for a few days , i may have done this a few zillion times ,,,

You're right, they SHOULD search . Guess they didn't the other two times I had it in for this issue. Never took care of any the times I've had it in. It's the dealer I bought it from too. We're all entitled to an opinion. Not a conspiracy as you say but just lazy customer service as is the case most everywhere these day.

Hey there TimF,

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle and you visited your local dealership. I am sorry to hear that you feel that you did not received the best customer service at your local dealership. Are you continuing to experience this concern with your vehicle? Feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

• 3 months later...

I've got the same problem with my 08 tahoe. The exhaust always smells like sulfur and it sometimes throws p1133 i replaced both the front and rear 02 sensors on that side. I took mine into the dealer and they said the fuel sensor that detects how much alcohol is in the fuel was off and that they reset it and retuned the computer. It seemed ok for a bit but now it's back. Is your truck still running ok with the new tune?

I've got the same problem with my 08 tahoe. The exhaust always smells like sulfur and it sometimes throws p1133 i replaced both the front and rear 02 sensors on that side. I took mine into the dealer and they said the fuel sensor that detects how much alcohol is in the fuel was off and that they reset it and retuned the computer. It seemed ok for a bit but now it's back. Is your truck still running ok with the new tune?

Just take it back , no point comin here .....it's called a " come back"

I took mine into the dealer and they said the fuel sensor that detects how much alcohol is in the fuel was off and that they reset it and retuned the computer.

That dealer is lying through their teeth. Your truck does not have a sensor to detect alcohol. Plus if it was "off" then I'm pretty sure it would be a replacement item and not a reset item. Find a different dealer.

Archived