In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
cableguy69

Idle problem

Question

Hey y'all im having problems with my 1992 gmc sonoma 4x4 4.3L v6 vortec, the problem is in the morning it takes a long time to stay running it wants to die all the time and after it runs ok to go, in order to go without bogging out I have to turn on my a/c and in order to stop without bogging out and dying I have to turn it off if you can help that would be very helpful if you need to know more info let me know thank you and have a nice day

3 answers to this question

idle air control valve. Pretty cheap part to replace.

Probably the IAC valve, but cleaning the throttle body is basic maintenance as well. If you pull off the air horn at the throttle body, look and see if the throttle plate and bore are full of gunk. They usually are, and you can take a clean rag and some brake clean or carb clean and wipe it down until it looks new. That solves all kinds of idling problems, and I'd always give it a try before replacing parts or paying for diagnostics.

• Like 1