Would you run a RC lift?

Just by accident, I happened to meet a guy at work today who said he had a connection for lift kits, finally, a good connection!

Needless to say, I phoned this guy and sure enough, I can get a RC 5'' kit for my truck for about $800. Install is another $500, but I would probably do it myself. I can't imagine getting 5 inches of height for less than $800, while correcting all angles. I was originally hell bent on BDS as I like to always have the best stuff, but I just cannot afford it. The BDS 4 inch kit he quoted me $2,029, without install.

Is Rough Country still crap, or would you run it on your truck?

I think RC has established themselves as rushing crap to the market and generally just doing no real R&D, just so they can be cheap. It took them years to even admit issues with the 3.5" kit and longer still to "correct" those issues once acknowledged. Never have I seen so many bad reviews / returns of kits than with that trash. And the 7.5" kit for the GMT 900s is garbage too. Now that I've got that out of the way, I think the 5" kit is put together right. I would suspect that the materials and certainly the infamous shocks aren't as good as ohthers but it's at least engineered appropriately. My experiences with RC were all bad from start to finish and the install wasn't smooth for various reasons, so I personally would never give RC any of my money. I would buy a 3" body lift and a leveling kit for virtually half that price if that's as high as I wanted to go.

I think RC has established themselves as rushing crap to the market and generally just doing no real R&D, just so they can be cheap. It took them years to even admit issues with the 3.5" kit and longer still to "correct" those issues once acknowledged. Never have I seen so many bad reviews / returns of kits than with that trash. And the 7.5" kit for the GMT 900s is garbage too. Now that I've got that out of the way, I think the 5" kit is put together right. I would suspect that the materials and certainly the infamous shocks aren't as good as ohthers but it's at least engineered appropriately. My experiences with RC were all bad from start to finish and the install wasn't smooth for various reasons, so I personally would never give RC any of my money. I would buy a 3" body lift and a leveling kit for virtually half that price if that's as high as I wanted to go.

To be honest, I have to agree about rushing products to market.

I watched an install video for the 5 inch kit on youtube, and the quality of the metal parts just didn't look good to me. It looks like cheap steel that is made in a hurry. I could be wrong, but it was a pretty clear video. I really don't know what to do here. A lot of guys say the RC 5'' is a very good kit for the money. Yet, I can't help but think one RC product is likely just as bad as the other, they are all coming out of the same factory by the same designers.

One point the guy at the shop made was something I didn't think about. The RC just uses a large spacer between your factory strut and your strut tower. The BDS uses their own custom made strut that is just longer than the factory strut. If that BDS strut ever goes, I am stranded for probably at least a week until I can get a new one shipped to me here. If my factory strut fails, I can pick one up at virtually any auto parts store anywhere. Now, the truth of the matter is, struts are not a break every day item. The chance of one breaking on me or leaving me stranded is probably %0.00000001, so I am not sure that is a worthy argument.

I am really torn. I can't afford BDS, but I really want BDS. I just can't help but feel uneasy about RC, considering their reputation earned from years past.

So the zone off-road kit is made by bds, I went to the site and checked out the 6.5" lift and it's the same one as www.maxx-lift.com and if it's true that bds makes that kit then I feel a lot better about going to max-lift cause I know the guy he lives about 10 miles from me. I got my level kit from him and trust him but thought about the RC because of price.

So, how about Rancho? I have looked at the Rancho kit before, but dismissed it because of turning radius reduction. However, the more research I do, it seems every kit on the market that uses new knuckles, is going to cause a decrease in turning radius. Every kit with knuckles pushes out the front axles with spacers, so really, there isn't a way to avoid this.

Now that I know this, I am back to considering the Rancho. If I wait for the rebate season, I can get the Rancho kit with 9000XL shocks for about $1,400 all in after the rebate. I really like the 1 piece sub frame, it is substantially more beefy than anyone elses sub frame(s)

So, how about Rancho? I have looked at the Rancho kit before, but dismissed it because of turning radius reduction. However, the more research I do, it seems every kit on the market that uses new knuckles, is going to cause a decrease in turning radius. Every kit with knuckles pushes out the front axles with spacers, so really, there isn't a way to avoid this.

Now that I know this, I am back to considering the Rancho. If I wait for the rebate season, I can get the Rancho kit with 9000XL shocks for about $1,400 all in after the rebate. I really like the 1 piece sub frame, it is substantially more beefy than anyone elses sub frame(s)

Rancho is one to check, you sure can't be wrong with it compare to RC that gives a doubt on a corner of your mind.

There's a guy installed 5" on his '10 3500 HD this Performance accessories lift and he's very satisfied. There are few good reviews about Performance Accessories so you might want to check and compare them, see: http://4wheelonline.com/ChevyGMC_1999-2013_Silverado_Sierra_Lift_Kits.176466.0

I was actually just about to create a thread on the 3.5" and ask if anyone has had issues with them. What have you read about them that are garbage, just the angles of things? I saw one on their website for about $500 and it comes with redesigned control arms and front differential spacers, I guess for the angle of the driveshaft and to more "flatten out" the CV joint angles from the extreme 3.5" drop

I was actually just about to create a thread on the 3.5" and ask if anyone has had issues with them. What have you read about them that are garbage, just the angles of things? I saw one on their website for about $500 and it comes with redesigned control arms and front differential spacers, I guess for the angle of the driveshaft and to more "flatten out" the CV joint angles from the extreme 3.5" drop

The 3.5'' kit is garbage because it does not truly correct the angles.

There is only one way you can correct angles. A new sub-frame, new knuckles, and differential drop brackets. If you do not move your lower control arm mounting points down, you will have bad angles. If you do not move your upper control arm ball joint mount up, you will have bad angles. if you do not drop the differential, your CV joints and drive-shaft will have horribly steep angles. You need new knuckles because they are taller, which corrects your upper control arm angle, and your tie rod angle.

New control arms will not solve anything. You NEED a sub frame, knuckles, and diff drop brackets to properly correct everything. I know the 3.5'' kit is cheap, but it's extremely hard on your truck. Why do people insist on spending 30 to 50K on these fancy new trucks, but then refuse to spend more than $500 on it to lift it. If you cannot afford to lift your truck the right now, your better off leaving it alone.

I have a RCX 7inch on mine and have had no problems. Used to work for a shop that sold and installed them with very lil problems out of them most problems were from owner abuse. Now that being said I think every kit with every manufacturer will have pros and cons over other brands. When I worked in the industry 5+ years ago RCX was normally the last to release the product but again I havent been in the industry in a while. I personally run a RCX kit and dont have any complaints. You will find good and bad on everything just have to go with your gut and your budget. the RCX 3.5 does seem to have a bad wrap although my old shop tells me they havent had any problems and Ive always trusted their word and still do.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any of my rants over the years detailing my issues with that kit. Anyway, I bought the kit when it was new in 07. The only thing that has changed since then is a change in the style of BJ and a slight increase in advertised lift height. Other than that it's the same.

First the install. NOthing lined up and the PC finish was thin and brittle. I also broke a couple of the bolts with little effort. RC also used BJs that didn't fit the factory knuckle so it had to be drilled out. Once it was on it looked and rode pretty good. But shortly thereafter I noticed a very loose feeling up front with the alignment and it seemed to be getting worse. Roughly 2 months after the install and 2 alignments I pulled it. It simply wouldn't hold an alignment, the ball joints were shot, and I'll just add that the rear shocks RC provides are junk too. When I took it to my front end guy to swap in new oem knuckles, he gave me the third degree about drilling out the knuckles. He basically said that they are very precisely machined and that you should never do that. I'll take his word for it. Once I was back to stock with a leveling kit, the truck felt tight and perfect. The ride was much smoother as well.

So then I started paying attention to the forums. I'll agree that all kits have pros and cons. But I've never seen any kit that has dozens upon dozens of flat out terrible reviews. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. It's all out there. I saw all of the issues I had experienced, to include UCAs that were fabbed wrong and rubbing against the coil springs. First RC said that nothing was wrong with their kit. For like 2 or 3 years. Despite numerous returns and part exchanges. Then one day RC puts out the revamped and improved 3.5" kit and starts boasting that they fixed the previous issues. Wait? What? I thought there were no issues?

Then RC created the 5" kit. It's hard to mess that up using factory UCAs and springs. It's a simple and complete kit that does its job. It's a decent kit from RC. But they needed a bigger kit to go up against the big boys. Did they design one? Nope! They said, let's add 2.5" inches to a kit barely designed for 5". Let's keep it cheap and max out all front end angles and have people cut off their droop stops so the UCAs don't ride on them and make it ride like a covered wagon. No need to limit down travel. And we will throw in a massive 6.5" block in the rear! I've seen mixed reviews on the ride from this kit as well. But for those willing to admit they are wrong, not many out there, that bought and removed that kit talk of terribe ride quality and binding CVs. Of course that kit looks to have been redesigned for the 14+ trucks.

So when I look at this company and the types of products they toss out to the general public that doesn't really understand what they're buying and only consider the price, vs companies like BDS, etc. I can't help but have little faith in their products. If price is a concern after buying a very expensive truck, then get a body lift and leveling kit. I see lots of bad reviews of body lifts, citing only that they look bad, but no problems to ever speak of. Perhaps RC is putting out better designs for the new gen, but I'll always remember my experiences and those of countless others.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any of my rants over the years detailing my issues with that kit. Anyway, I bought the kit when it was new in 07. The only thing that has changed since then is a change in the style of BJ and a slight increase in advertised lift height. Other than that it's the same.

First the install. NOthing lined up and the PC finish was thin and brittle. I also broke a couple of the bolts with little effort. RC also used BJs that didn't fit the factory knuckle so it had to be drilled out. Once it was on it looked and rode pretty good. But shortly thereafter I noticed a very loose feeling up front with the alignment and it seemed to be getting worse. Roughly 2 months after the install and 2 alignments I pulled it. It simply wouldn't hold an alignment, the ball joints were shot, and I'll just add that the rear shocks RC provides are junk too. When I took it to my front end guy to swap in new oem knuckles, he gave me the third degree about drilling out the knuckles. He basically said that they are very precisely machined and that you should never do that. I'll take his word for it. Once I was back to stock with a leveling kit, the truck felt tight and perfect. The ride was much smoother as well.

So then I started paying attention to the forums. I'll agree that all kits have pros and cons. But I've never seen any kit that has dozens upon dozens of flat out terrible reviews. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. It's all out there. I saw all of the issues I had experienced, to include UCAs that were fabbed wrong and rubbing against the coil springs. First RC said that nothing was wrong with their kit. For like 2 or 3 years. Despite numerous returns and part exchanges. Then one day RC puts out the revamped and improved 3.5" kit and starts boasting that they fixed the previous issues. Wait? What? I thought there were no issues?

Then RC created the 5" kit. It's hard to mess that up using factory UCAs and springs. It's a simple and complete kit that does its job. It's a decent kit from RC. But they needed a bigger kit to go up against the big boys. Did they design one? Nope! They said, let's add 2.5" inches to a kit barely designed for 5". Let's keep it cheap and max out all front end angles and have people cut off their droop stops so the UCAs don't ride on them and make it ride like a covered wagon. No need to limit down travel. And we will throw in a massive 6.5" block in the rear! I've seen mixed reviews on the ride from this kit as well. But for those willing to admit they are wrong, not many out there, that bought and removed that kit talk of terribe ride quality and binding CVs. Of course that kit looks to have been redesigned for the 14+ trucks.

So when I look at this company and the types of products they toss out to the general public that doesn't really understand what they're buying and only consider the price, vs companies like BDS, etc. I can't help but have little faith in their products. If price is a concern after buying a very expensive truck, then get a body lift and leveling kit. I see lots of bad reviews of body lifts, citing only that they look bad, but no problems to ever speak of. Perhaps RC is putting out better designs for the new gen, but I'll always remember my experiences and those of countless others.

I had a bad experience with them when I had their 6" kit for my 02. It was really a 4" plus key crank. Thats why i swapped to McGaughy's. I should have just trusted my instinct and I'll stay away from them for good now. Ordering a top gun customz 2" level here soon. Should look and ride nice [emoji106]

Sent while in 'Murica...

Archived