USB ports in center console unresponsive/dead?

2014 Silverado double cab V6.

I have 2 phones an S4 and an iphone 5. Until 2 weeks ago I've always kept my iphone cable in the car and hooked it up to play music/charge it as well. I happen to need to charge my S4 one night and plugged it in and let my i5 connect via bluetooth. After unplugging the USB cable from the center console arm rest, anytime I plug in a USB cable no matter the phone or device I get no response. Won't even charge, its like the USB ports no longer have power to them. Can't find anything here or on google that can answer this question.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated as I loved the ability to charge my phones at the same time.

You say "anytime you plug in" you get nothing, so I am assuming that it doesn't charge with the ignition on either. That being the case I would say you have a problem. I believe they are fed directly to/from the radio. I do not think there is a fuse.

My USB's do not have power if the ignition is off. The cig lighter does though. That is what I use to charge anyything while ignition is off. You might pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes and see if it resets anything? Just a guess.

The bottom one in my center console has always been weird...the phone keeps connecting and disconnecting to it every couple of seconds. The top one works fine. I just use the cigarette lighter plug under the dash to charge it and connect the phone via bluetooth to the radio. I don't have faith that it will be fixed properly if I bring it up to the dealer.

You say "anytime you plug in" you get nothing, so I am assuming that it doesn't charge with the ignition on either. That being the case I would say you have a problem. I believe they are fed directly to/from the radio. I do not think there is a fuse.

My USB's do not have power if the ignition is off. The cig lighter does though. That is what I use to charge anyything while ignition is off. You might pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes and see if it resets anything? Just a guess.

Correct. Doesn't matter if the truck is on or off. Even disconnected the battery and let everything reset. Still no go. I wonder if the dealer screwed something up when they replaced my heater core (took them 3 weeks to do it)

The bottom one in my center console has always been weird...the phone keeps connecting and disconnecting to it every couple of seconds. The top one works fine. I just use the cigarette lighter plug under the dash to charge it and connect the phone via bluetooth to the radio. I don't have faith that it will be fixed properly if I bring it up to the dealer.

I'm semi nervous to take my truck back to them, but it appears i have a blown speaker now as well in the front pass side so might as well take it in and have them go through it all.

It's not producing enough amps to charge the phone. What kind of phone?

Correct. Doesn't matter if the truck is on or off. Even disconnected the battery and let everything reset. Still no go. I wonder if the dealer screwed something up when they replaced my heater core (took them 3 weeks to do it)

I'm semi nervous to take my truck back to them, but it appears i have a blown speaker now as well in the front pass side so might as well take it in and have them go through it all.

All the speakers blew on my 2007 silverado. Front passenger side was the first to go oddly. It's been an issue for GM vehicles for speakers to blow according to a trusted source at the dealer. So this doesn't surprise me. My advice is let them fix it if it's under warranty, otherwise go aftermarket.

It's not producing enough amps to charge the phone. What kind of phone?

It's supposed to be able to charge your phone. The top one is charging it just fine. The bottom one just has connection issues and static on the audio. iPhone 5.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

All the speakers blew on my 2007 silverado. Front passenger side was the first to go oddly. It's been an issue for GM vehicles for speakers to blow according to a trusted source at the dealer. So this doesn't surprise me. My advice is let them fix it if it's under warranty, otherwise go aftermarket.

It's supposed to be able to charge your phone. The top one is charging it just fine. The bottom one just has connection issues and static on the audio. iPhone 5.

Static via a digital connection? That's highly unusual.

I'm subscribed to this thread. This keeps getting more interesting the more people that post. Lotta gremlins with this model truck, wonder if they will get them sorted out in 2015.

My truck is still covered under the 36k warranty. Although since October, I've put 9200 miles on the truck.. Wow.

I'm subscribed to this thread. This keeps getting more interesting the more people that post. Lotta gremlins with this model truck, wonder if they will get them sorted out in 2015.

My truck is still covered under the 36k warranty. Although since October, I've put 9200 miles on the truck.. Wow.

No problems on my 2015.

I do not think there is a fuse. You might pull the fuse for the radio for a few minutes and see if it resets anything? Just a guess.

On my lunch break I went and did some tinkering and found out that the USB ports do infact have their own 15a fuse. The USB fuse is located on the passenger side behind the plastic panel to the right of the AC vent by the door. It's fuse number 27. All radio and USB fuses were perfectly fine, still no juice coming from the USB ports after resetting those fuses.

Yup. Time to sell this truck/trade in. Clearly it's starting to fall apart :crackup:

• 2 months later...

I had to bring my truck in this week for the same issue.Both USB ports dead, won't charge my phones. I am about 10 000km before the end of my 60k warranty too. I ended up having a day wasted because the dealer isn't able to fix this problem, had to schedule an appointment with a company called York Electronics for next week. I will update this thread with hat happens there.

Well, after having my truck for 5 weeks and I put 1700 miles on their loaner they gave me, I went to go check up on it unannounced since they had quit calling me and giving me updates. I find my truck parked in the back of the dealership with the entire inside of the truck trashed, i unlocked the truck and it smelled god awful in there. The truck would never be the same I figured.. So i raised hell once I got inside and bartered for a new truck since clearly they cant fix the issue.

They paid off my 2014 with 13,000 miles on it and I got into a 2015 Z71 Ocean Blue LT Double Cab. I ended getting 11k off sticker so I was thrilled to say the least.