USB ports in center console unresponsive/dead?

How on earth can you not fix a USB port? Port/cable/HMI module/power/ground. only 4 possibilities. Not sayin' its fast or easy but it ain't rocket science.

You'd think it would have been easy enough to find the non working or non responsive piece to that small puzzle but i guess not. Now imagine showing up unannounced to see your truck in this shape after 5 weeks time.. Along with an odor only someone whose rubbed their armpits against your cloth interior could create. LIVID

20150331_190706_zpszb79mgcp.jpg

Mine occasionally exhibits exact same issue with center USB ports. It self-resolves after the truck is shut off and systems are allowed to reboot upon following startup. Happens probably 5% of time. Always comes back to life after a shutdown of the truck and restart. Annoying I know but not unexpected in vehicles that are 90% electronic.

You'd think it would have been easy enough to find the non working or non responsive piece to that small puzzle but i guess not. Now imagine showing up unannounced to see your truck in this shape after 5 weeks time.. Along with an odor only someone whose rubbed their armpits against your cloth interior could create. LIVID

20150331_190706_zpszb79mgcp.jpg

I've seen same issue. I doubt it is the port since mine self-resolves after a stopping and restarting of the ignition after the truck's control modules seem to reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a USB plug on the back of the radio. Make sure that it is secure. Also, there is a USB connector under the passenger seat under a small piece of cut out carpet. Be careful because there is also another connector there so disconnect battery before messing with either. Think the larger one controls Air bags in passenger seat. Also, do you have the USB port in the glove box. Does that work?

I just figured out they gave you another truck so problem solved. But info for next time or another person having same issue!

Edited by Dave849

These USB ports are crap. Whenever I plug my phone in they may a "ticking" noise. It sounds exactly like the laser head in a CD player skipping as it tries to read a bad disc. At first it was not that noticeable, then if became super obnoxious. The dealer looked at it and said it was working properly. They said that is the "sound of it reading data". That is the most asinine thing I have heard in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my truck 2 days ago on Memorial Day. I connected my iPod and all was great. Last night I decided to slip in a SD card to see if in fact you can play videos and sure enough you can.

But now after I took out my SD card, it will not find my iPod. I click media and it says no other devices available (other than my phone via Bluetooth). It recognized and plays my iPod music via Bluetooth but I want these USB ports to be working too.

Would have something to do with me just abruptly taking out the SD card? Like on a computer how it tells you it was ejected wrong or whatever

I just got my truck 2 days ago on Memorial Day. I connected my iPod and all was great. Last night I decided to slip in a SD card to see if in fact you can play videos and sure enough you can.

But now after I took out my SD card, it will not find my iPod. I click media and it says no other devices available (other than my phone via Bluetooth). It recognized and plays my iPod music via Bluetooth but I want these USB ports to be working too.

Would have something to do with me just abruptly taking out the SD card? Like on a computer how it tells you it was ejected wrong or whatever

Try pulling off the battery terminals and letting it all reset.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I just found this thread while looking. I can't count the times I've had the centre console USB plug replaced under warranty and once so far out of warranty. My rear speakers are starting to go. To me, it's clearly a design flaw with the plug. I'm going to see if I can replace it on my own next time. I'm running a 2013 Silverado Z71 with 5.3 in it.