barry G's 1996 gmc 4x4 5spd

barry G

Love the truck and the thread. Growing up my dad had a few of these trucks, the latest I remember was a 98 Chevy but I also remember a GMC stepside - maybe a 94?. The fact that the truck is closing in on 400k is a true testament to GM quality and doing the required maintenance. 

Keep up the good work and enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/5/2020 at 11:16 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

You bury this truck? What's up guy? 

hi.

still trucking. 

thought I'd check in after 3.5 years.

still primary vehicle.

now at 390,683 miles. state inspected. Has not needed much. My welds are extras.

20230513_104519.thumb.jpg.5836bb7f69126b2e135a77d8cbfb513b.jpg

I made the frame much stronger, and just got in the mail a brand new fuel tank crossmember. 

88 bucks delivered. Bargain!

I wanted to specifically share this as I had a questions few years ago about the original.

"it seems like the fuel tank crossmember is not meant for the weight of this truck"

sure enough, the new one weighs 18.8 pounds and has 13mm rivet holes.

I had an original that was not as heavy duty as the new one...it even has 10mm rivet holes. I had guessed it a long time ago. I have been under many of these trucks over the years.. and simply noticed my crossmember specifically was very wimpy. I even found short bed step sides with thicker crossmember than what this one shipped with. 

Factory mystery. Was not my imagination, after all...

so.. am converting the last bits with rivets left, over to 13mm bolts... adding new member.

this is approaching finale , after 8 years...and may even semi retire it..

running beautiful. Everything works...rust repairs all done.

Edited by barry G
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Ah come on man. You're not even halfway to a million miles. 😉 Glad you and your truck are okay. Missed your missives. 

I got that beam in the mail, and remembered I had a journal here.

love truck to this day.

I found a way to keep it to 1k miles or less per year... just a special vehicle to me now

no more rock salt etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

a serious little weld.

With high miles is some unusual finds.. 

the a/c hose dripped in the same spot so long, it worked away a perfectly waterfall driven shape.

now at 391k miles..

trucachole.thumb.jpg.b37880cf44cac67c3aeab92ca65c4d3b.jpg

my photos from a cellphone are ridiculous, so I added a photo with my hand and the template of the weld below. As you can see, it is not exactly huge. My hands are large, I digress. I was inspired to fix this, when 7 years ago, I noticed my inspector was always checking up front, right where weld is..every year. No problems with it back then. I asked him if that was a trouble spot and he said.. that spot is the only bizarre frame breakage in these models he had ever seen. I have concluded myself it must be a/c related for an unlucky truck. If one of the evaporators leaks it will use the drain hole to outside for r134a.. into this frame area. Mine was lucky for 27 years... it is just time and water. Welded up nicely..passed my hammer test.

20230708_101907.thumb.jpg.e12a3776bee7a92c82e9f2dc18685d64.jpg

A new fuel tank crossmember in coming days. that is a no weld job..full bolt conversion...and some weld details to complete.

by september a new exhaust muffler back to factory, and super quiet. On the manual trans truck, I like to hear the engine to know when to shift.. so I may wander off from factory one more time. :)

Edited by barry G
  • Like 1