Brake lights not working

philip76

Question

i have a 2006 chevy silverado 2500 hd. both brake lights by tailgate are not working. i have changed bulbs and check fuses. Is there an ongoing issue with the brake lamps not working. any help on this would be greatly appreciated

5 answers to this question

More than likely the brake switch, but could be wiring or fuse as well. GM's switches seem to be extraordinarily crappy through the first half of the '00 decade, so that's where I'd put my money ...

Test it first - don't just replace it. Not like GM designs anything to be easy. You want to avoid it if you can.

Is your third brake light working as designed? If yes, then so is your brake switch.

While depressing the brake pedal, check whether the brake light sockets have ~12V.

Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

Oh yeah, forgot about them 3rd lights. Only one vehicle out of my fleet has one. :lol:

I have the same problem, my 2 bottom rear brake lights went out, checked both fuses, replaced brake switch even though top cab brake light working , thought it might be something with the trailer fuses , their all OK too ... The wiring harness under the truck is my next job to check ..

any suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks Gene

Archived