In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2015 HD - Cargo light by pass

Anyone else bothered by it or know of a workaround so the cargo light will work while your driving ?

I use mine all the time on my 06 when hauling to check the load/tie downs, looking at the dogs etc..

The new light is alot brighter so maybe they think its a hazard ?

Great site btw, just found it the other day, been a few years since I needed to outfit a new truck. Great resource and will be following advice of many next few weeks. Setup for Line-x & cranking torsion this weekend, jurys out on either steps or bars and which tires to go with.

Thanks JT

Short of messing with the factory wiring, no. I asked GM for it, they claim safety BS. Not a major deal for me since I have LED floods mounted to my back rack, but they actually would be a potential safety concern if I turned them on at night with someone right behind me.

• 3 months later...

I agree with Kevin however I would not have a problem messing with the stock wiring :D Before I get hammered on this thread let me just say I haven't looked at the wiring diagram. But the way I see it the switch itself is activated when the truck is in park and 2 conditions are met. The doors open or you hit the switch. Therefore if your remove the signal wire indicating that the truck is in park and either jumper it with a (+) or (-) [whatever it calls for when it is active] then you could "fool" the switch into thinking that the truck is in park and you could activate the switch. It would also maintain it's original function that way. If you need me to try and find the wiring diagram let me know.

Anyone else bothered by it or know of a workaround so the cargo light will work while your driving ?

I use mine all the time on my 06 when hauling to check the load/tie downs, looking at the dogs etc..

The new light is alot brighter so maybe they think its a hazard ?

Great site btw, just found it the other day, been a few years since I needed to outfit a new truck. Great resource and will be following advice of many next few weeks. Setup for Line-x & cranking torsion this weekend, jurys out on either steps or bars and which tires to go with.

Thanks JT

A) If you're in motion, you shouldn't be looking behind you

B) I'm almost 100% certain that it's a federal DOT requirement to NOT have rear-facing white lights on a passenger vehicle

C) When you pull up to a stop light or whatever (when your speed drops to zero), the light comes on

• 3 months later...

I just completed installing four additional LED lights in the cargo bay and spliced them into the factory LED harness so it can be operated with the factory switch. When I find time and warmer temps I'll pull power from the trailer + lead and wire that into the LED's harness along with a momentary switch that closes the circuit when the gate is open. I'm not worry about back-feeding the harness because the factory switch will be off when I'm at the back. Even if both are on they would both be feeding 12+ so no damage will result. At least that's how I rationalised not using a diode :)

• 5 years later...
On 8/23/2015 at 4:14 PM, ember1205 said:

A) If you're in motion, you shouldn't be looking behind you

B) I'm almost 100% certain that it's a federal DOT requirement to NOT have rear-facing white lights on a passenger vehicle

C) When you pull up to a stop light or whatever (when your speed drops to zero), the light comes on

Wow you obviously never haul much. Yes you are not supposed to have rear facing lights, then again I’m sure many vehicles have stuff that is technically not DOT approved.  I came to this thread in hopes of finding a way to access my cargo light while in motion. It doesn’t mean I’m going to activate it while in traffic. I like many live in rural areas and would like to access my cargo light like I could in older vehicles. 

So does anyone know how to do this, or has anyone used the product Autosync?