Electric Steering Fuse?

On 2/13/2020 at 6:04 PM, Dudaronamous said:

Wow, I had no idea those existed.  That definitely would work.  I ended up replacing the fuse block, hooked it all up and power steering is back!  I haven't noticed anything NOT working so far.

Thanks!!!

What exactly did you do to fix the issue?  I had the same thing happen with the wrench while I was changing my battery.

6 hours ago, DanJS10 said:

What exactly did you do to fix the issue?  I had the same thing happen with the wrench while I was changing my battery.

Had to replace the entire fuse block (see photo).  No local autoparts stores had the part or even seemed to know what it was when I gave them the part number.  I called the dealer and they had one in stock.  It cost me about $130.  Once it was installed the steering worked normally and there were no other problems.  If I'd been more patient I could have waited for carnau's response above and maybe installed the littelfuse and holder for much less money.

3C9CA8B3-F2DF-472A-8374-3167B6F12A14.jpeg

Edited by Dudaronamous

6 hours ago, Dudaronamous said:

Had to replace the entire fuse block (see photo).  No local autoparts stores had the part or even seemed to know what it was when I gave them the part number.  I called the dealer and they had one in stock.  It cost me about $130.  Once it was installed the steering worked normally and there were no other problems.  If I'd been more patient I could have waited for carnau's response above and maybe installed the littelfuse and holder for much less money.

3C9CA8B3-F2DF-472A-8374-3167B6F12A14.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a part number?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The part # is 84354716. Called a Fuse Block

4 Fuses are located within that metal thing in above picture which in it's entirety, part # 84354716. The shiny metal thing is a thin, free standing part that comes out.

The above pic has a 'pole 'missing (empty hole) as mine has 4. He has a Tahoe I have a Sierra. The whole thing is called a Fuse Block. The pole on the FAR LEFT attaches to the 175 power steering fuse. Maybe it's called something else, all I know is it went POP and my steering is DOA.

I blew out the 175 AMP (steering) by not putting the top on (which is NOT in the picture above) while tightening the neg terminal and the socket wrench end clipped the far left pole. I knew it was 'live' but was lazy. Mad at myself is an understatement. 

I wish I could just buy the metal thing that houses the fuses but it's not sold for my truck. I suppose a junk yard if you have one near you. I don't.

Others are saying to use a 175 DIY fuse. I don't want to do that. The part is now just $60. Plugs in at two places, if you need to replace the whole thing which I seriously doubt. That would need replacing if someone ripped out your battery or a tree fell on it. Annoying they don't just sell the metal fuse plate. I'm just going to replace the metal plate. The rest is useless to me.

Next day:. Bought the part locally. Does not come with the top. They do NOT sell the metal part that holds the fuses (I asked). I called it 'shiny thing'...I was stupid tired yesterday.

One does NOT 'wire' or rewire anything. Two wiring plugs need to be unplugged then plugged back into the new part. Takes 10 seconds. To rewire that...um...no. Then attach 4 wires etc. Takes minutes.

Since I already installed it after getting a new battery, this time I put the top on first so I didn't blow out the 175 fuse again. Works fine.

POWER STEERING NORMAL, again.

PS:  Anyone doing a bypass 175 AMP wouldn't be looking this up. Just Feebs who blow crap up by accident, like me...

Edited by Tommy14

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2015 at 2:13 PM, hotrodz37 said:

Hi All,

Beginning last week my steering started acting up. Every time I get in the truck it drives differently. The wheel used to be effortless to turn, now I have to put some muscle into it. It was somewhat like this in winter but here in FL its 100 deg right now so that't not the culprit. No dash warnings or anything.

Does anybody know the fuse for the Electric Steering? I have looked at all of the fuse blocks and nothing is labeled Electric Steering. I want to pull mine to reset but not disconnect the battery. I had read that the Electric Steering is run off of the AC motor so I'm thinking it might be fuse 56 or 57 but would love some insight.

Here is the 2014 Sierra Manual:

https://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals/01_Images/2014-sierra-1500-owners-manual.pdf

Fuses listed starting on page 10-44.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had this exact thing happen while changing the battery on my wife’s 2016 suburban. 

I used a voltmeter to confirm that only one branch of the distribution block wasn’t getting power. Then moved the wiring off the dead branch onto one that was open and confirmed to have power. Problem solved and $0 went to the stealership. 

just make sure to disconnect the battery before moving so it doesn’t short again while you fidget with it. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:50 AM, Charles Cooper said:

I have similar problem with my 2014 Silverado. I changed out the battery but then I  was tightening the cable on the neg post and let my wrench touch one of the posts on that bettey junction box that sits on top of the battery. There was a spark (duh). Then when I started the truck, there was a message and I  had no power steering. I assume I blew a fuse,  but can't find one the says power steering or anything like it.. At least not in any of the three fuse boxes I found in the manual. 

Hello Charles, I did the exact same thing when changing out the battery on my 2018 yesterday.  Were you able to easily resolve this?  How?

• 4 weeks later...