$70,000 sticker

I just bought a 2016 3500 Denali Duramax SRW. What issues are you having?

In dealership for repair for 18 days to fix leaking injector pump and leaking turbo inlet (2 different repair sessions). Pump was dripping diesel, which you could smell burning in cab (diesel fumes in cab real bad); the other you could smell diesel fumes, but a lighter version, in the cab when it was sitting @ idle. Have just over 5K miles on it now.

Passenger mirror turn signal does not have the diffusers over the LED like the drivers side, making it blinding when trying to turn right (can't see out window at night with signal active).

Cruise engages exhaust brake (when enabled) during deceleration after passing a vehicle; basically engaging "grade braking" on a level surface instead of just free-wheeling until the cruise speed is re-attained. This gives the result of "pass somebody and then slam on the brakes in front of them" situation which always wins new friends.

Adaptive steering induces fatigue at speeds above 70MPH (with or without Tow/Haul engaged). Most noticeable on longer trips on the expressway. Cruise set at 74 and it takes excessive input to turn the wheel for even small curves on the e-way. Steering effort at low speeds is great. Sucks at higher speeds. Turning at 80+MPH (like after a multi-vehicle pass) is similar to trying to turn with no power steering, I end of overcorrecting twice due to the dead steering.

Towed from SC to MI (15 hours towing) and had to use two hands at times to make some of the curves through the mountains on I40. Great feature on paper, horrible implementation. On the plus side, this should be correctable with a software update, no idea if it will happen.

Heater can't be run in manual mode and have consistent temps produced, when below 40F outside. Heat varies wildly from the selected output location. Dealer says must be run in AUTO mode, which is more consistent heat but not ideal heat. For example, set the dash at 68F/AUTO and it will blow 78F air continuously on your feet, temp at the console shows 64F, dash at 67F; rear seat at 67F. Click the temp down one to 67F and the temp at your feet will drop a full 10F.

When the temp outside is 50-70, the temp inside seems to be great, generally.

I have another thread on here about the temp. Interested to see if your's acts the same at all. Probably make a difference on your geographic location and the ambient temps associated.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/180607-too-hot-too-cold-hd-denali/

Dealer/Tech says must run that HVAC system in AUTO mode for it to work "correctly". Of course, you have to take it out of AUTO to run the defrosters, which tends to be necessary with winter coming on.

If I can't be comfortable in a 70K truck, may need to find a different one... I really liked my 12 SLT, thought for sure this Denali would be just that much better and it is not in some important areas.

There are lots of things I like about it. The cargo lights in the box and in the mirrors are great (even better if they could also light up right behind the tailgate, like when hooking up a trailer). Seat is comfortable (heat/cool seem fine on them). Gobs of power. Smooth. Quiet.

I've only driven mine twice so far although about 500 miles total. Sorry to hear you're having so many issues. The one thing you mentioned about the LED turn signal lights on the mirror caught my attention as mine seem super bright as well on the passenger side. I'll check for the diffuser. Haven't noticed any issues with the HVAC system with temps down to single digits. Warmest ambient has been about 45. I've been SUPER lucky with every new car I've bought (mostly Honda and Chevrolet). Never had any issues with any of them. Good luck with the repairs.

The cruise engaging engine brake when at a coast after accelerating around a vehicle then returning to normal cruise speed is the same thing that happens with commercial semi trucks. My semi, for instance, the jake is going to start engaging at 3 mph above the cruise set speed. Been that way on commercial trucks for decades. That it also is characteristic on a Dmax should not be a surprise.

How do commercial semi drivers deal with this? We turn the engine braking off in those situations or keep our foot on the accelerator until we slow back to cruise speed.

The cruise engaging engine brake when at a coast after accelerating around a vehicle then returning to normal cruise speed is the same thing that happens with commercial semi trucks. That it also is characteristic on a Dmax should not be a surprise.

My 2012 DMax does not exhibit this behavior. If that truck's technology could figure out the difference between purposefully exceeding the set cruise speed versus grade-induced acceleration, then this "even more advanced" machine should too.

Archived