16 Digital Steering Assist - How is yours?

Okay, so I find this very interesting. I've put a little over 1000 miles on my new 2016 2500HD Duramax. The issue I am experiencing is excessive play in the steering only at highway speeds. I really can't come to the conclusion the issue is actually excessive play, but rather excessive power assist. At slower speeds the power steering feels about right. However, when I am driving highway speed, 55 to 70, it is very very easy to steer. It is so easy to the point that any small movement with my pinky finger on the wheel can send me off in the direction I turn the steering wheel. I am used to a heavy truck like feel that requires constant correction for wind and road conditions. So, to me, at highway speed the steering with this new digital assist feels kinda sloppy.

This sounds like the issue with the torque on the pitman arm nut on the steering box. (Nut backing itself out) There is a TSB out on that. Mine feels the same way. Waiting to see if it gets worse or I will wait till the first oil change and have them check the nut at that point.

This sounds like the issue with the torque on the pitman arm nut on the steering box. (Nut backing itself out) There is a TSB out on that. Mine feels the same way. Waiting to see if it gets worse or I will wait till the first oil change and have them check the nut at that point.

Yeah, I've also read about this as well. I would think that if there is something coming loose on the steering box, there would be some play in the steering wheel vs the front wheels turning. So this is what I have done. With the truck in park, running and window rolled down, I have took one hand (my right hand) and slightly turned the steering wheel while standing outside of the truck just in front of the mirror with my other hand (left hand) on the left front tire. I did this because simply looking at the tire while standing on the running board it did not look like the 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement I was making on the steering wheel in small quick back and forth movements. I could barely see the front wheel move. However, I could feel the front wheel, especially the rim move when I made the small quick movements on the steering wheel. I also took note of the play in the tire sidewall itself. I have been making air pressure adjustments as well to compensate for the sidewall flex. So to me, that would confirm there is not an issue with the mechanics behind the steering. Moreover, when I place the truck in tow/haul mode, the steering becomes more firm at highway speeds. That to me feels like what it should feel like all the time. So, I've read the other posts about the TSB however, IMHO there do not seem to be that many complaints, at least online about this being a huge problem. I tend to read these things and think I have the problem too. But it is worth noting that I have this weirdness in the steering that I have not experienced with any other trucks and cars I have driven. I've owned 4 super duties and granted these were older trucks, the steering was spot on. In fact, I also drive a jeep wrangler and the steering in that is somewhat sloppy too, however, the steering wheel has a firm feel to it even through the slop. With this Chevy, it just feels like the "slop" is easier to turn from center at highway speed with tow haul mode off. The quick back and forth movements on the steering wheel, to me, seems to be where the issue exhibits itself. If, while I am driving at highway speed, I give the steering wheel a small gradual nudge to the right or left, that is where the truck will go. After reading all about the digital power assist, it kinda makes sense because what it tries to do is to straighten the truck out when it senses you are making corrections on the steering wheel. It does this by way of additional valves in the steering box. I am not really a big fan of this, but I guess I just need to take to the dealer and let a tech drive it and maybe I can test drive another one to ease my mind.

• 2 months later...

Archived