1500fp's Silverado 1500 working dog cruiser

1500fp

Nice build! What brand CAP did you end up going with? I'm looking for one as well and the same color. Prices seem kinda high everywhere by me so I'm looking for something a little further away. Good looking pooch as well.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forget the model number but it's an ARE cab height cap. Retail would have cost me close to 2k with all the options it has, but it was overrun from the factory and I got it for 995$ out the door. My cap dealer also let me pay with paypal credit so I could take advantage of 6 months interest free financing which was nice.

Going to start my bed build out soon just waiting for a stetch of sunny weather so I can get it done. Appreciate the feedback and questions, hope I have inspired other dog lovers to build a safe home on the road for their pups without breaking the bank!

• 2 months later...

After a long delay I finally started the bed build!

Only cost about 80 bucks for wood and screws. Made from 2x4 and sanded 1/2 inch plywood. Still need to do a bunch more work but it's a start and usable now!

XtVFRQY.jpg

7QYfvsg.jpg0apd008.jpgeDKDsBz.jpgPYrGkyc.jpgtLsfcit.jpggHHTqNa.jpg

Almost done gluing carpet down to all the exposed wood. Should have it done tomorrow after work and installed again then I'll post up some more pics.

Another small mod I did was putting some gel infused memory foam in the driver seat back and bottom. Also did the seat back on the passenger side soooo comfortable!

The carpet really finishes things up, glad I took the extra step and wrapped it all. Only thing left is to cover the exposed ends on the rails the main piece of plywood slides on. I didn't want to cover those in carpet so the board would slide in easy but I don't like the look of the exposed ends so will probably just cover the end.

Some tips from my experience gluing the carpet:

Don't dump glue down the middle of the carpet and think you can spread it with a roller like on the plywood, it will soak right thru the carpet and ruin it. (At least the cheap outdoor home depot stuff I used)

When applying glue to the carpet, coat the roller and LIGHTLY brush over the carpet, if you press down too hard it will soak in and not spread evenly.

Get some fans for ventilation and drying. I did this in my garage with door open and still had to take a few breaks outside from the fumes! Also helps speed up drying, I left all my boards in a pile in front of the fan overnight and the fume smell was pretty much gone by morning.

After I glued the first couple boards the process became second nature. Coat wood in glue, coat carpet in glue, wait till tacky, apply.

Now I need to finish the covers for the storage bins along the rails and get some hinges to mount them.

Not sure what I will do from here. I need to run some power back here from my second battery but not a dire need at this point. Dying to take this thing on a camping trip for a test run to see what kind of improvements I can make.

post-150969-0-87837800-1468277413_thumb.jpg

Any advice on making a custom door panel? I am thinking sheet metal or plexiglass?

Door panel came off pretty easy, 3 or 4 screws and tons of pop connectors.

All I want is a flat panel to cover the exposed door. I am thinking about adding a little fold down table to the door once I get a panel on it. Will also likely bolt a piece of hog panel over the window opening so my pup can't jump out. Not that I don't trust him but it's good security, especially in the event of a crash he will stay contained in the cage and less chance of injury.

post-150969-0-34748500-1468277818_thumb.jpg

Stopped by a local custom fabrication shop to get a quote on a custom door panel. We tried to find an off the shelf solution since they make very similar door panels for cop cars and prisoner transport vehicles, but they have just about every truck except mine :(.

Waiting on a quote, as long as its nothing crazy will probably have them make it then will post up pics.

Archived